Chapter 41

When the sun rose from its deep slumber and the colour of the sky shifts from deep blue to orange, neon pink and a lighter shade of blue, tinting the clouds before they become a clear shade of white and fluffy forms, it announces a new day. The city awakes to another day with people getting off their beds for different missions. The birds sings into the majestic sunrise, many grateful for witnessing another day. Powerful beams of sunlight torrents over the land illuminating every vane of the morning dew glazed meadow, giving the flowers a chance to bloom, some people a chance to live and change their decisions about life and others a chance to live life the way they think it was.

Rays of light streamed in through the little window onto the marble floor of the bathroom. Lola sat on the edge of the tub, head bowed as she looked down at her hands. Sweat dripped from her face, little hair sticking to her damp forehead. She was immobile like a statue but the little rise and fall of her chest indicates she still had life in her. Her skin was dirty and wet from sweat which she got from spending too much time on the yoga mat. Her eyes were lost and distant with her mind far away from the present.

She had woken up some minutes to six due to her usual nightmare. This time, it was scarier, more heart wrenching and felt so real. He came for her. He got her even when she ran far away from him. This time when he had his hands on her, she had no chance to run. He trapped her. He caged her and at the end, he wanted to kill her. She woke up before he could strangle her. Joshua was sound asleep next to her snoring into dreamland. She got out of bed, knelt down by the bed and prayed before heading to the living room for her normal daily yoga.

Now, she sat at the edge of the bath tub, too lost in the past to sense the present. Her hands had the blood of the innocent on them. None was intentional but that does not change the fact that two people had lost their lives due to her inner demons. But she was trying, trying hard to fight her inner demons but they seem to have more power over her. After she had stopped her medications in California with the thought that she was well and her psychiatrist had pronounce her well, she had another episode again a year later. This time, she was at home with a friend. The white chick had annoyed her and she had thrown that chick over the glass table which shattered into pieces. In order to cover her deed, she made it seem like an accident. That was when she knew how good of an actress she can be. She acted the grieved friend of the victim and escaped going to prison or getting charged for murder.

But that was all in the past. She willed herself to return back to a life she cherished so much. The past will never be back. She got to her feet. But was that true? Will the past always be in the past? Fear wrenched her chest. She has a very busy day ahead. She need to visit Osasere so that she can check on Esosa, visit the spa and change her hair.

Joshua was still asleep when she stepped out of the bathroom. He had the sheets tangled around his body, face buried in the pillow with soft snores emitting his gapped lips. The sight was cute but what caught her attention was the black ink on his left arm. The spitting dragon was something she needed to ask him about. She liked the tattoo on his arm. She had no reason to it but knowing the good boy was once bad really fascinated her. She was yet to know where that tattoo ends.

Lola had given orders to the housemaids when Joshua dragged his lazy body out of the bedroom. The pleasant smell of toasted bread and egg wafted through the house. The housemaid who cleans the house was mopping the lobby and the other should be in the kitchen. Lola has never cooked though and she does not cook. She was seated in the living room, watching a film on the television. She had her laptop next to her and her phone in hand. How many things does she want to do at the same time?

"Good morning" He husked out.

"Morning" She answered without looking back.

"How was your night?" He groaned as he stretched.