Chapter 23

Lola met Osas in her office. The business woman had no customer with her. It was Osas's lunch break. The friends hugged and exchanged pleasantries.

"I have sent the wines your house ordered today. Your family have been great customers over the years"

"It's nothing" Lola threw a dismissive hand.

"Lolu came by today. He said I should give you this" Osas handed over an envelope to Lola. "It seemed his mother's throwing some party at their house. So they ordered the drinks from us. He said everything about you being perfectly alright. There's nothing to worry about"

Every month, Lola visits the hospital for check-ups. It was something they do in her family. The hospital her family uses is a prestigious and one of the bests in the country, Osifeso Medical Centre, owned by Lolu's paternal uncle. A skyscraper with the best facilities any hospital should have. It's very expensive though. Lolu works in the neurosurgeon department.

"Thanks" Lola collected it, her smile reaching her eyes. "It's good to hear that". They sat down next to one another.

"So what am I hearing, Lola. Kiki told me about you meeting some guy"

"Kiki and that running mouth of hers. I am not seeing anyone. Na my grandparents o (It is my grandparent). They got him for me"

"And?"

"I don't want him"

"You speak of him like he is an object you picked up from the market. With what I had heard from Kiki, he sounds interesting"

"Please" Lola rolled her eyes. "He is a bore, a talkative. True, he has good looks but the rest about him is a turn-off. He is not rich"

"You are doing the same thing again. Refusing men. Why now?"

"Don't pressurize me please. Let's forget about him. Tell me how you are?"

"I should be asking you that"

"I just left my psychiatrist office. I was not fine but I am fine after seeing you"

"Lol, you want my head to swell abi?"

"No, I meant it"

"So what's good?"

"Many things have been good. I am thinking about growing my business"

"How is your grandfather?"

"He had woken up. I will check on him when I leave here. His condition is stable now" she gave a grateful smile, the holes in her cheeks going deeper.

"We thank God. That's good news"

"I heard something" Lola clapped her hand with eagerness.

"What?" Osas leaned forward.

"Rachel is pregnant!"

"Which Rachel?"

"The one you and I know"

"You have got to be kidding me"

"No I am not"

"Who is she pregnant for this time?"

"I don't know but I heard it's some rich dude"

"Serves her right. Well" Osas exhaled loud, her shoulders tensed. "I met Jafar"

"Which Jafar?"

"The one you know. Jafar who was my two year senior in secondary school"

"That's fine dude. He is tall, light skinned and Hausa. He's always looking for you back then and watching your back. You guys were so close I thought you were going to date"