Chapter 24

The beeping sound of the ECG machine. The fast thumping of feet. Immediate rush in and out of the ward. The worked up faces of nurses and the doctor trying to make his patient better. Outside, family members held unto one another, many nervous, walking to and from, eyes giving away their worries with the dread that what they thought might happen will come to pass. In their hearts, they prayed.

Outside the walls many dread a lot, Lola rocked back and forth on her shaking feet. She closed and opened her slippery palms, sweat sipping from her pores as she looked up at the hospital. Her stomach rolled, bile trundled up her throat. She gagged, slamming a hand over her mouth. This was a normal thing that happens each time she had to enter the hospital. Taking in the cold air of the night and breathing out a number of times, she gathered her guts then walk into the hospital.

She left without saying anything to YK. He could be pissed but that was the least she cared about at the moment. Her grandfather's health has gotten critical. At the entrance, a doctor and nurses ran out to the ambulance that pulled over. Once the strong wave of drugs and antiseptics drifted into Lola's nose, Lola swung left, charged down the hallway to the direction of the bathroom to pour out the content of her stomach.

The elevator dinged before it opened. Lola trod out of it, feeling light in the head, and her body weak. She clutched her sling bag to her side, heading down the hallway to her grandfather's ward. Her steps had not been quick. She took her time, shoulder slumped as she felt the bitter bile in her throat. The hospital will not have been a place to visit each time if her grandfather was not a patient there.

Damijo Kola-Daisi's illness was no longer a secret. It had been one of those news trending on social media. Lola keep wondering how the news got out. It was Mofe's fault. The teenager had wished his grandfather quick recovery on his instagram page and from there, many got to know and it became a trending news. No one had taken it easy on him. They wanted it to be a secret and not something the world should know about.

Lolu who worked in the same hospital knew how much she hated visiting the place. He had invited her to his place of work times without number but she kept refusing. Her grandfather was admitted in Osifeso Medical Centre. Lolu's father was late, died few months after Rosie's birth. Rosie was Lolu's younger sister and age mates with Sarah and Samson. Lolu was the eldest of two, a successful neurosurgeon, his mother's only son and apple of her eyes.

Cynthia was the first to get a sight of Lola. She hopped to her feet letting go of Miracle's hand.

"Lola" Cynthia called. That got many attention. They all whipped their heads to her direction.

"Mummy" Lola rushed to her mother, keeping her hands in hers. "How is he?"

"We are yet to know. He has been rushed to the operating room"

"Oh, what happened again?" her voice broke. "He was perfectly alright"

"He was. We don't know. It just began again" Cynthia held her into her motherly hold.

The air around was thick with tension. Richard paced the hallway, fidgeting with his hand. Rebecca rocked back and forth in her seat, her only daughter Dammy sat next to her, hand closed over her mother's hand to give comfort. Tola stood with her husband, Aaron, her hand clasped over his to pacify, her eyes showing her worry for him, for everyone around and her fear for the man in the operating room. Adesewa sat with her daughters who held unto her. Sarah stood next to Samson, a finger in her mouth as she bit at her nails, something she does out of nervousness. Toke sat with her husband who had his hand draped over her back. Makinde stood next to Amarachi who was seated, her in hand husband's hand. Shola walked to and fro until she ended next to her father in order to give him solace. Her husband was not present. He had to stay back with the kids at home. Mofe had slept off where he sat, saliva dripping down a side of his lips. Tenny and Kenny sat on their heels down, back against the wall.

Lola swept her eyes over the hallway with her family members. She sighed, held her mother's hand tighter before looking at her mother.

"He will be fine" she assured her.

Few hours later, the doctor walked out. Many jumped to their feet to crowd him. Questions were thrown at him.

"He is out of danger" the doctor broke the news.

"Thank you Jesus" Many chorused with a heavy sigh of relieve.

"He is being transferred out of the Operating room. When he wakes up, you can all see him"

"Thank you Doctor" Richard grabbed the doctor's hand into a tight handshake. He shook his hand repeating his thanks as everyone did.

The doctor who was flushed, kept replying until he disappeared from their sight. They were all able to breath. Many sat down but this time, the worried looks on their faces were masked with relieve. Dammy hugged Richard. He wiped the tears that was about to fall from her eyes. The tension in the air faded away. Everyone could breathe well again. Just as Lola and her mother were about to sit down, an agonizing scream tore through the intense silence.

Please vote, comment and share. Thanks.