Chapter 40

She was running around, her laughter full of sparkle and that of a happy pleased child. The setting sun tinted the sky orange and purple, making it the perfect time for the children to come outside to play. The surrounding was a spread of lively green grasses, the happy voices of children and vibrant flowers that made the new season. Hearty and triumph was the laughter that filled the air. With a ball in hand, she jumped as high as her feet would lift her and threw the ball at her brother.

In the gazebo, her mother sat with her sisters. Her mother plaited Toke's black hair into beautiful cornrows and laughed along with Tenny and Kenny who sat with her. In the pool, Makinde and Samson swam as though it was a competition.

It gave her contentment and happiness from within to be among her family after a hectic day in school. The next throw of ball that came from Miracle was meant to hurt her. It slammed against her head sending her to the floor. He laughed. She disliked it. With determination, she picked the ball and threw it at him.

Then, suddenly, she had a rod in hand. Her heartbeat, each fearful thump could be heard by her. She had a dazed look, numb from what she was staring at. Blood was all over her, a dead massacre cat in front of her. She looked around, blood dripping on from her face and clothes soaked with viscous red liquid. Her family stood around. She felt the silent storm coming. She met her mother's fearful and worried eyes.

Gently, the people around her changed. From an eerie quietness, it became a clustered noise. The cat changed to an unconscious girl of her age. She was standing near the unconscious body, too still to move or say a word, accusation were being thrown and many backed away with shocked look.

What happened?

Why?

You've killed her.

What have you done Lola?

A gasp, orders were being thrown, the garbled murmurs among the students continued. She saw Sophia's mocking face. There was a tap on her shoulder. She whirled around. He stood there, his eyes filled with an evil glint and a very mischievous smile. She took a shaky step back. He took a confident step forward. Her dress had changed. She had a white silk on. Sweat coated her skin and fear travelled through her like mercury. The hallway was barely lit with light. Dread sent a power she had never felt before. Her feet moved beneath her and she sprinted down the hallway. He followed with determination, shouting her name. He roared and she saw and sensed the devil in him.

Her sobs grew louder, tears ran down her face. Getting closer to the wooden stairway gave her hope. She wanted to get away from him, from death and evil deed. She had taken the first step down the stairway when she felt his hand clamp over her arm.

A fearful scream emitted her lips. He slammed her against the baluster not giving her weakened body the chance to slip instead he tug her up and threw her into the hallway.

"Please, please, please" she begged crawling back. He ripped his shirt off. Gone was the cool man she knew. Here, she had a beast with her. As he took steps closer, he loosened the buckle of his belt that held his trousers to his waist. Red eyes budged out from their sockets. He charged at her and she screamed out her lungs, her scream was the type that could alert anyone.

He cursed, shouted she should stop as he slammed his fist over her face. His palm left a stinging pain over her cheek. He yanked her by her hair and pulled her back. She struggled, pleaded and cried, kicking her legs as he dragged her to the room.

"Please don't do it. Please don't touch me. Please, leave me alone. Please, I beg you" It became a chant he did not listened to.

Lola felt hands around her. They felt real, so real and manly. She gasped for air in her sleep. She felt the shake. It was forceful. He had come. He had her.