Chapter 19

Richard and Cynthia took the next flight back from wherever they were the next day after the news had been broken to them. Damijo was on life support. The doctor had explained in some irritating medical terms that they do not know when he would be conscious and if he wakes up, it will take so much time for him to recover. His hypertension had almost hit the peak. Everyone was worried. The Kola-Daisi family treaded the hallway of the hospital. They came in and went out each and every time.

Damijo and Rebecca had four children. Richard was the eldest, married to Cynthia with ten children. Aaron was the second, married to Tola with four children. Josephine was the eldest, same age with Miracle. Michelle was the second, same age with Lola, Jude was the third, nineteen years of age and the youngest, BJ, was thirteen. Josephine and Jude were out of the country for the time being.

Their third child was Damilola, the famous Aunty Dammy. She's married to Leke for fifteen years without kids.

Lola had a pen stuck in between her teeth. She was seated on the chair next to her grandfather's bed, legs crossed as she looked at the empty note in her hand. She nodded her head to the beat as Rihanna sang in her headset. The woman had said something about wanting the inspiration of the shoot to be from ivy. She had browsed the plant on Google. It was an old trailing plant with lobed evergreen leaves and black berrylike fruits. At that moment, her head was blank. She could not think. The woman wanted the shoot to happen next week. A gentle pat on her shoulder made her look up. Her eyes went wide at the person standing next to her. She removed her headset.

"What are you doing here?" she positioned the headset on her lap uncrossing her leg.

The guest beamed at her before placing the flowers he had in hand in an empty vase on the nightstand next to his bed. He held Damijo's frail hand with a drip, closed his eyes and said a silent prayer. She watched his lips move. When he lifted his eyelids, his eyes met hers. She shifted her gaze and scrambled to her feet as she kept what was on her laps away.

"Nice to meet you again, Orekelewa" She snatched his hand and led him out of the room.

Behind her, he smiled, his eyes tender as he stared at her. It was really nice to meet her again. He enjoyed the way she took his hand. Did she realise? Her hand fit into his. He felt the soft palm, as soft as a baby's palm. Did she know the feeling she gave him with that simple touch? It was sensational.

"What are you doing here?" she spun around after they stepped out.

"On behalf of my family and me, we wish your grandfather a quick recovery" Joshua gave her a slight bow. What a dramatic man? She huffed, arms crossed over her chest.

"You did not answer my question"

"I did" he crept his hand into his pockets. Confused, Lola angled her head with a little frown. "On behalf of my family and me, we wish your grandfather a quick recovery" He repeated. Her frown became deeper. "I meant I am here to see your grandfather because my mother could not come"

"We appreciate" she reached for the handle of the door. His hand curled over her wrist before she could turn the knob.

Her eyes looked down at the connection. She felt it. The sudden spark that glided through her body. It tingled down her spine and ended at her toes. She stiffened. What the hell was that? As if he burned her, she yanked her hand away and flinched a bit to the back.

He saw the expression in her eyes, the shock. Why? Then he saw the astonishment that glazed over her eyes and disappeared like the speed of lightening. She disliked the feeling he gave her. It caused the inner walls of her stomach to fluster. Goosebumps rose against the spot his fingers had banded.