Chapter 26

Dear readers, please, try to comment whenever you are reading. I beg you. It makes me know what you think about the book. It gives me hope and zeal to keep writing. When you read a line and you need to say something, type it. It's actually feels good to read comments. I know the story is slow but that's how it's going to be. Nothing will be rushed. Please bare with me. Thank you.

There was a stillness in her soul. She was like the fallen leaves of autumn in the frosts of winter. She dabbed the wet handkerchief over her cheek, mopping tears that streamed down without her trying to force them out. She felt used, miserable and felt more like a fool. How could she not have seen through everything? How could she have known that her grandfather was playing with everyone's senses? Who would suspect when the old man had pretended to still be out in the hospital for three days? She sniffled, her breathing hot and warmer tears dripped from her eyes unto her cheeks. She was seated in bed, legs folded beneath her, her palm cold against her forehead, head pounding lightly.

Since she arrived from the hospital, she had locked herself in the room and cried her heart out. How could a man be so desperate to force his granddaughter into marrying someone she has nothing for? At one point, she had felt the twitch and itch with the hard tightening in her chest which were caused by anger that seeped through her body from unknown sources. Thinking about marrying Joshua brought more tears out of her eyes.

She still heard the knock and her mother's voice pleading that she should open the door but at that moment, she was not ready to see anyone. What she wanted to do was drown in her sorrow and curse herself for been so stupid. Lola reached for her phone, weak from weeping and tired from everything that had taken place in few hours. She wanted to be out, away from the house where she would not have to think about the fact that she would soon be getting married.

This was Joshua's fault. Why does he have to walk into her life? Why does he have to be known by her grandparents? This time, her grandmother had no hand in it because the woman was equally as shocked as everyone was and had tried talking to her husband who was whistling with joy. She dialled Lolu's number. First ring, second ring, third ring and more rings, he did not pick. She dialled it again and got the same thing. Please pick up, she prayed silently. The third try after the third ring, he picked up.

"You are calling right on time. I was just about to call you because I will be leaving the hospital now. My shift is over" came Lolu's booming voice. She was silent, her heart thudding while the ache in her heart compiled over and over becoming stuffier for her heart to hold.

"Lolu" she squeaked like a mouse. Tears without any force rushed into her red eyes. She sniffled. Beads of tears found their way down her face. She pressed her lips together, her dimples showing.

"Lola?" gone was the cheerfulness in his voice replaced with worry. "Are you alright?"

"No!" she admitted with a sob escaping her dry lips. "I am not!" her voice was a harsh whisper.

"What's wrong? What happened?"

"He is forcing me. I am going to marry him whether I want it or not"

"I don't get you"

"Can we meet?" she swiped the frosty pads of her fingers over her hot face.

"Yes! Of course! I was just about to leave work to give you a call. I will pick you up from home. I should be there early if there is no traffic jam but get dressed before I arrived. Where should we go?"

"Where I can forget everything for a while" her heart constricted with ache.

"Alright! I will give you a call when I am closer to your home"