Chapter X: Hitting The Trail

Start from the beginning

“Why thanks, M’Lady, ” he said with a bow and a flourish of his long, forest green cloak. With a wry smile, he added in a most haughty tone, “By the by, is that the way speak you to a high-born noble?”

“Oh, my apologies, M’Lord!” Cookie Laughed.

Trever did indeed look like the noble-born Lord that he actually was, and this was quite a departure from how he had looked since they met him. He was dressed in Green and Yellow wool and leather, studded in silver. His armor consisted of shining gauntlets and a great silver breastplate embossed with the insignia of the House of Kellwood. His tight-fitting yellow and green striped breeches were tucked into his tan boots just below the knee. A long dagger was strapped to each boot and Trever wore his great ash bow and quiver of extra long arrows. He also had a short sword strapped to his side, but he turned and picked up another much more intricate short sword off Dymorla’s great oak table.

He pulled the sword from its intricately tooled scabbard, revealing a series of black runes worked into the shining steel. The sword was longer than a short sword, but not as long as a traditional long sword such as Dybol. “Not bad, eh, Djar? Certainly not as ancient and historical as yours, but Dymorla conjured some unbelievable tricks into this one just the same!”

Dymorla looked proud. “It can provide light in any dark place – merely by thought. It also feels light in the hand, making it far easier to wield than a typical sword of its size – even though it’s a relatively short sword. But the best part is its ability to inflict much more damage than any traditional blade. It can cut through all but the finest blades like a hot knife through butter. Zack, it is for you.”

The boy’s eyes widened.

“It is something I’ve worked on for quite some time. I began working it after formulating my plan to bring you into The Land, and I just finished two weeks ago. Well, actually I’m not quite finished. There’s still one more thing.”

With that she lightly stepped over to the boy, placing her left hand on his forehead. In her right, she took the sword Trever offered. She began mumbling in a language that none of the others save Trever had ever heard. She opened her eyes. “This blade now belongs to you with a life bond. It will only work for you so long as you live, or, until you pass it on to someone only by your free will. Should any other try to use it, its hilt will become as like a red-hot poker and the magic will lie dormant.    

“Truly a sword of legends,” finished Trever.

“Awesome,” said Zack.

“Yes …awsame,” Agreed Djar.

“But I don’t even know how to hold it,” added the boy.

Djar looked down at him. Zack suddenly looked like your average twelve-year old, not the savior foretold of in prophecy.

“Don’t worry, it’s a long way to Illum; I’ll give you lessons along the way.” Djar smiled, thinking back to the kind but deadly strong Dermatt. “I’ve been taught by the best.”

“And what about me? How do you like it?” Dymorla asked, gesturing at her outfit.

“You look fantastic,” said Zack. “Most regal and magical!”

Her own garb was less colorful than the others, but it was no less spectacular. She had decided to forego the plain wizard robes in favor of a more regal, military look. She had donned a dull, black tooled-leather doublet with wine-colored heavy cloth sleeves. The leather was studded in shining black metal with black mail at the armpits. Along the front, it had four rows of bright silver rings fashioned into the leather for added protection. She wore leather gauntlets, fashioned with plates of that same black metal. Her boots matched, having black plated shin protectors. Even though she wore armor, she seemed to have no weapons – at least none were visible. Her cloak was also black, but it had a metallic shimmering quality as it moved. The entire outfit seemed to take years off her age, and made her look more physically capable, not that she wasn’t thoroughly dangerous in any garb.