1

July 1982

New York City, New York

A young Rose walked around the busy New York streets. She's been here for four years and eventually got used to the system. Yet, she dearly missed Gary, Indiana. And her dear Michael, Randy, and Janet. Mostly Randy, since he was her best friend. She kept in contact with him until he seemed to be more focused on his career. Michael also kept in touch with her. He still sends letters. Rose always questioned why. They weren't the best of friends during their childhood. They were rivals. Always competing with each other.

Anyways, Rose continued to walk. She was heading for a coffee shop. However, today's visit was very strange.

"You got some strong features girl!"

Rose paused confused. 'The heck?' she thought.

"Aw, Michael, shut up, you ain't going to catch her attention. You probably scared her," another voice said

Michael? As in Michael Joseph Jackson? The annoying twit she was just thinking about? Nah, couldn't be. It was probably some gang just stalking her and throwing catcalls.

"Hey! Miss! You look great today!"

Rose scoffed. "That was weak!" she responded.

The catcaller, which was actually Jermaine Jackson, huffed and crossed his arms as his brothers laughed at him. Rose was about to continue her walk when a man walked up to her. "Hey, I'm sorry about what my brother said. It was...Rose?"

Rose looked up," Michael?"

"Yea, I'm Michael. Michael Joseph. You remember how when we were kids and I'd be throwing insects at-"

"Yea, yea, shut up."

"Well, dang, sorry"

"Don't say sorry if you don't mean it."

"Fine, I apologize."

"You aren't sorry."

"Could I get your phone number?"

"Shut up."

There was soon silence between the two. They both looked each other in the eye and began what seemed to be a staring contest. Michael purposely leaned closer to her face, until he could dive in and kiss her. They were so close.

"MICHAEL!"

Michael and Rose both jumped away from each other. "Lord," Michael muttered under his breath. The rest of his siblings were coming their way. Rose got a better view of the brothers and saw how old they got. Little did she know, little Janet was shoving them out of her way. "Quit trying to bring more girls to our home it's getting annoying." Rose only laughed, remember what a player Michael was back in the day. Every day there'd be some girl crying. "Janet, baby, you've grown," Rose said between laughs. Janet and the rest of the brothers were confused. "And who are you?" the 16-year-old questioned.

"Rose. Rose Jones"

Janet rubbed her chin and studied Rose's figure. "You've gotten skinnier. You actually have a body."

"Janet," Michael said in a stern voice. Rose blushed softly. During her teens, she was a bit chubby and was embarrassed about how she looked. "I am telling the truth, am I not?"Janet said smugly. "Janet, stop it, that isn't nice," Michael continued. Janet Rolled her eyes.

"I think I should go, "Rose backed away. "Aw, Rose," another voice cooed. Randy. "Hi, Randall. You finally chose to speak," Rose snapped, "What took you so long?" Randy looked down sheepishly. "Girl quit playin' and come home with us. I'm sure mother would like to see you," Michael chuckled as he linked arms with her.