20

August 29th, 1986

"Happy 1st birthday, Damita, "Rose said softly. It was just her and her daughter. Michael didn't celebrate birthdays, so he was at the studio. He was making finishing touches for his new album, 'Bad'.
Rose lit a candle for her daughter. She made sure Michael's camera was on. Just because he couldn't be with his daughter on her first birthday didn't mean he'd have to act like it didn't happen. Rose sang happy birthday to her daughter as Damita clapped her hands. "Now, blow the candle, baby," Rose smiled. Damita blew them and clapped, "Yay!" She picked up the cupcake and bit into it. Rose laughed as she went over to the camera to turn it off. Rose sighed as she watched her daughter celebrate.

"Good job, Mike," Frank Dileo said, patting the younger man's shoulder. "Thanks, Frank. It's a shame Quincy chose to drop out of the project so early," Michael shrugged as he went outside. "You want a ride back home?"Frank asked. "It's alright. My friend, Aaliyah is coming to pick me up. I might as well go inside to call her," Michael explained. Frank only tipped his hat at him and hopped into his car, cigarette in his mouth. Michael put his hands in his pockets and walked back into the studio. The went to the nearest phone and dialed Aaliyah's number. She picked up," Michael, I know I said I would pick you up but something came up at home and I can't-"
"It's alright. I can call one of Rose's sisters. Thanks for telling me though."
"No problem. I'll try and make it up to you." He hung up. Michael ended up dialing 3 of his sisters in law but none of them were able to. All was left was Erika, someone he tried not to get near. He dialed her number, "Hey, could you pick me up from my studio?"

Aaliyah stayed up in her room. Rashad recently told the family that she had eloped. Her family never gave Anthony their blessing. So, here she is being yelled at. "Why didn't you tell us?" her mother asked for the 100th time. " It's hard to explain. You don't even like Anthony," she groaned.

Rose noticed Michael wasn't home yet and began to create scenarios in her head. 'What if he's cheating on me?' She thought. Her eyes began to water at the thought. Rose knew he wouldn't try to, so wiped her tears and waved the thought away.

Erika pulled up in front of Michael's location and pressed wheel to let out a honk. Michael soon came outside and opened the passenger side of the door, "Hey, thanks. You're actually a good person." Erika laughed, "Is that sarcasm?" Michael rolled his eyes," Depends." He noticed she was revealing a bit. Ok, not a bit, she was showing a lot. "Uh, are you not cold?" he pointed to her chest. "Michael, we're in August. It's pretty much summer. But thanks for...noticing, "Erika waved him off.