Chapter 39.

(Last chapter. Whew. Hope you guys like it :) Final author's note will be posted shortly)

Chapter 39.

*Flashforward to the wedding*

"Aw my baby is all grown up," my mother tells me. I smile at her in the mirror as she carefully plays with the arranged curls on the back of my neck.

"Thanks Mom," I tell her.

"For what?" she asks, obviously confused. "I was never there for you when you needed it.

"I always imagined you were," I say.

"Oh Maybel. My little imaginative girl. You'll always be that little girl who would sit on her father's lap and listen to his ridiculous stories. I remember when you used to say 'peas' instead of 'please,'" my Mom lets out a sad chuckle as she gazes at me through the mirror. "I will never love anyone more than I love you and your father."

I give her a small smile. "You're gonna make me cry."

"I love you Maybelline," she whispers and places her hand on the glass with her long feminine fingers spread open.

I mirror her movements and place my hand on the glass. If there wasn't a pane of glass and a whole course of events in the way, we'd be touching.

"May? Are you ready for your big entrance?" Diamond pops her head in.

I nod nervously to her and she smiles at me. "You'll be fine. You look beautiful."

She takes my hand and leads me to the doors that I will enter through. "Just take deep breaths okay? It's just Liam, and knowing him, he's probably more nervous than you are," she chuckles and I smile. "Wait here. I'll be right back."

I nod and wait for her to return.

"Hey Maybelline," a voice says. I haven't heard it in a long time but I'd recognize it anywhere.

"Hey Dad," I greet my father.

"So today's the day, huh?" he states nonchalantly.

I roll my eyes but laugh at his joke anyway. "It would seem like it."

"If this guy treats you like crap, I will pound his brain to a pulp and make sure he can't have any kids," my dad pounds his fist into the palm of his other hand.

"Dad," I whine. "He's amazing. I was the one who left and he came after me. Not the other way around. I'm not forcing him to marry me."

"Still," my father raises his eyebrows.

"I love you Dad," I remind him. "Liam is never going to replace you as the first man in my life."

My dad shoots me a small smile. "Thanks May. You're my little darling and no one will ever replace you."

I give him a hug.

"Okay, May," Diamond reappears and my father disappears from view as quickly as he appeared. "You're on in 5,"

Chocolate brown eyes.

"4,"

Blue eyes and a lip ring.

"3,"

Luke instead of Liam waiting for me on the podium.

"2,"

My parents being with me every step of the way.

"1,"

And then the doors are open and despite all of the filled church pews, the only person I can see is Liam. He looks as nervous as ever and I have to bite my lip to keep from laughing.

I walk slowly and carefully, making sure not to trip on my white dress.

When I get to the altar, Liam offers me a hand and I take it. The minister says a few words to the crowd and then he smiles at us.

He says so many marriage laws and vows that I don't exactly catch them all.

"Liam James Payne, do you take Maybelline Eleanor Lawrence to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Liam smiles at me and says, "I do."

Then the minister turns to me.

"Maybelline Eleanor Lawrence, do you take Liam James Payne to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

I think of Jonny and Luke and all the guys I've ever dated, which isn't very many by the way.

I hear Liam take a sharp breath.

It's not like I'm gonna say no, I don't know why he's so nervous.

Then the audience gets quiet and I open my mouth.

"I do."

-

THE END