Chapter 4.

Chapter 4.

"And then he was all like," Payton was rambling on and on about how attractive Calum was to her. I kind of tuned out after a while. "Hey May, are you listening?"

I shake my head 'no' and she laughs.

"Well we're almost there." We're driving to the arena and it's taking a looong time.

20 minutes later, (which in my opinion, hadn't seemed like we were 'almost there'), we pull into a full parking lot and Payton hands me our VIP passes.

We put them on and were able to walk right to our spots backstage. Payton already knew where she was going. Apparently she has done this "a million times."

Suddenly from onstage, a band starts playing and the crowd starts screaming. I glance at Payton who is screaming too.

"Look at my baby!" She points to the same boy who was FaceTimeing her last night. I figure he must be Calum.

After a few songs, the crowd cheers one last time and 5 Seconds of Summer comes running backstage while One Direction goes out. The screaming continues and its almost deafening.

"Hey babe," Calum greets Payton while pecking her on the cheek. "And Maybel." He nods towards me.

I smile and feel eyes on me. Turning I make eye contact with the blonde, blue eyed, lip ringed boy. He smiles at me and walks over.

"Hey," he greets. "I'm Luke," he sticks out his hand for me to shake and I do so. "Are you shy?" He asks.

I shake my head 'no.'

"Then why aren't you talking?" He asks confused.

I put my pointer finger in front of me as if saying, 'just a second.' He nods, as if understanding, and I go over to Payton. I give her the signal to introduce me and she does.

"Guys!" She yells to get the four boys' attention. They all look at her. "This is Maybelline," she introduces. "You can call her Maybel, May, or anything else you can think of. She is mute. No she is not shy, no she is not deaf. She has had some traumatic experiences so to cope with them, she has chosen to go mute. Chosen. So yes. She can talk. She just chooses not to." I can see them nodding their heads in understanding.

"Hi Maybel," the guy with dimples and drumsticks in his hand speaks up.

I smile and wave, my way of saying hello.

"If any of you," Payton continues, pointing and glaring at everyone, "hurt her in any way, shape, or form, you can bet that I will hunt you down and cut out your guts while you are still breathing. I will then tape those guts, to a wall and there they will forever stay."

"Well that took an unexpected turn," the same multicolor haired guy from Starbucks says, breaking the awkward silence following Payton's death threat.

Maybe that's why he looked so familiar. Maybe Payton had shown me a poster of him or something.

"Maybe she'll tape your guts to the wall Mikey," Calum elbows him in the ribs with a smirk.

"So that's why you didn't talk," a voice says from behind me. I recognize it instantly. I turn around and see Luke smiling down at me. "You know, I had a feeling you weren't lying. Do you want me to introduce you to the other guys, seeing as you already kind of know me and Calum?" He asks sweetly.

I nod and smile. He takes my hand but quickly drops it, remembering that we've only met five minutes ago. I can feel the blush creeping into my cheeks. I glance up at Luke who is blushing too. "Sorry," he apologizes, his voice cracking, making him even more embarrassed.