Chapter 27.

Chapter 27.

After my talk with Liam, I head off to find Luke.

Despite what I told Liam about breaking Luke's heart, I have to protect myself no matter how selfish it seems.

I find Luke in his designated room. The one he has barely been in because he's been in mine. His back is to me and he's facing the window.

I step into the room as quietly as I can. My entry is given away by a board creaking underneath my weight. Luke's head whips around at the noise. His face breaks into a grin at the sight of me.

"Maybel! How are you?" He asks with a smile as he slides off the bed. I grimace.

To be honest, I'm feeling quite horrible, Boy Who Broke My Heart Into A Million Tiny Pieces.

I keep my face neutral as he steps towards me. He notices my serious mood.

"May, what's wrong?" He frowns and brushes a piece of hair away from my cheek. I resist the urge to shudder. "Is Liam being a dick?" He half jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

No, you're the one being a dick.

I look him hard in the eye and his happy mood vanishes.

"Tell me what's wrong please!" Luke pleads and runs a hand through his hair.

I push a finger up against his chest and I move it back and forth between us, showing that we are the problem.

"What? Maybel, you're not making sense," Luke says and I can see that he honestly doesn't understand what's going on. I feel pity for him but it's only enough to make my breathing hitch.

I reach behind my neck and carefully unclasp the necklace that Luke gave me. I feel his eyes watching my every move with growing anticipation.

I take the necklace and thrust it towards him. He doesn't take it but bites his lip ring and looks at me blankly. "What are you trying to tell me?" He asks quietly.

I blink away the rapidly approaching tears forming in my eyes and lift up the hem of my shirt. I bite my lip to keep from making noise as I see Luke's eyes widen in shock.

He glances at me and then back to the bruises repeatedly, as if he doesn't know what happened.

He gingerly traces the bruises and I wince.

"Did- Did I- Did I do this?" He asks with wide eyes.

I nod and a tear rolls down my cheek as he looks at me with broken eyes.

"No- Maybel I'm sorry," he starts and I can see tears brimming in his blue orbs.

I shake my head. I'm done with this back and forth game we're playing.

"Maybel please. I love you," he pleads and the tears start down his cheeks. He looks so hurt. I'm pretty sure I look exactly the same way. I can't hurt him but at the same time I can't continue to hurt myself by loving him.

"Are you- are you breaking up with me?" Luke asks quietly, finally figuring out why I came. His voice cracks at the end of the sentence.

I can't look at him. I can't tell him that that is the exact reason I came here. I can't rip out his heart.

Before his beautiful blue eyes make my weak heart lose its nerve, I drop the shining 'L' shaped necklace into his hand and rush out of the room.

I don't look back.

---------

"Maybel?" A voice asks softly. I open my swollen eyes to see Julia, Diamond, and Payton standing over me.

"Are you okay?" Julia asks as she gently rubs my back. I'm done lying so I shake my head 'no.' I roll over onto my back and stare at the ceiling.

"What's wrong May?" Diamond asks.

I shrug but its Payton's sharp eyes that must have spotted the empty spot at my neck.

"What happened to your necklace?" Payton asks.

"Oh my God. Did you and Luke," Julia trails off.

I nod sadly.

"Oh," Diamond hugs me awkwardly.

"Do you want to come to the concert with us?" Julia asks gently. I shake my head again. How did it get this late? I must have slept a lot.

"Okay. You just rest okay? We'll be back in a bit," Payton says nicely which is rare.

They leave and shut the door as I let one last tear slip out.

"Maybel?" A knock at the door makes my eyes flicker open.

In walks Liam.

"I heard about you and Luke," he says. "I just want you to know, I think- I think I love you. And if you're not going to be here because Luke is, I want you to know." With that, he bends down and presses his lips to mine.

It's only the second time we've kissed but my stomach flips. I notice how soft his lips are and how gentle he is with me.

It ends too quickly.

"I'll see you later Belle," Liam says as he walks out the door.

As he leaves, I let him take the last hope I held with him.

---

A/N

Sad but happy chapter.

So formal was amazing!

SHOUTOUT to @AbandonInThought for being amazing.

Thanks for reading!

I love you guys!

-Jules xx