Chapter 16.

Chapter 16.

"Maybel, come on," Luke whines from behind my closed door. "You take forever!"

I smile to myself and grab some earrings, carefully inserting them into my ears. I got my ears pierced when I was five. It was okay. Not really the best experience in the world. Meh.

I take one last glance in the mirror and straighten out the collar of my dress. I put on a smile and walk to the door. I open it to reveal a very anxious Luke. He's examining something but as soon as he hears the door opening, he shoves the box in his pocket.

"You look gorgeous," he compliments as he takes in my dress and gives me a soft peck on the cheek.

I smile and he takes my hand.

We enter the elevator and go down a couple floors to the lobby. As we walk through it to the exit, it instantly reminds me of my apartment back home and of Jonny. I feel a pang in my chest.

Luke squeezes my hand in reassurance. He must feel my uncomfortableness. "It's okay May. I get homesick all the time. I miss my mom, my house, my friends from back home. Basically I just miss everything. But then I realize that if I was still back in that hot, dry, stupid desert continent they call Australia, I wouldn't be famous or on tour. Then I kind of forget about being homesick." He shrugs and we continue walking along the sidewalk.

We start to swing our intertwined hands back and forth between us, earning a knowing glance from anybody walking past.

"So," Luke runs his free hand through his hair, "I was thinking that we could go to this one place I like to just sit and think at."

I nod and smile. He plays with his lip ring, which glints in the afternoon sun.

We continue walking and soon we get to a little bluff over looking the ocean. From where we are, it looks like if you went over the edge, you'd fall into the water but that's not true. There's sand down there. You'd fall onto that.

I dash up the small incline and gasp when I see the picnic basket lying underneath a tree.

I look back at Luke with amazement on my face. He blushes and awkwardly shoves his hands into his pockets.

I run over and fling my arms around his neck. I feel him stumble backwards a bit, from my running start and all of the momentum I was carrying.

"It's really not that great but-" he starts but I cut him off by placing my lips onto his. It's my first time initiating this and I can feel Luke smiling against my lips.

His hands rest at my waist and pull me closer. My hands are behind his neck, playing with the hair at the nape of his neck.

Our lips dance and eventually we stumble backwards into a tree. Luke pulls away breathless and I'm forced to do the same.

"Hungry?" he asks, a smirk on his face after we've settled down onto the picnic blanket that was stowed in the basket. I nod eagerly and politely fold my hands on my lap.

Luke pulls food out from inside the basket and carefully sets it out. It all looks delicious.

Maybe he's not so bad.

Maybe he's not trying to be a bully, it just comes off like that.

Maybe he's just a confused teen.

Maybe he's just trying to prove something to himself that he doesn't really know how to put into words so he's constantly battling himself inside his brain.

I smile to myself.

Maybe we're not so different after all.

Luke notices my smiling and says, "what? Am I setting out the sandwiches the wrong way?"

I giggle and shake my head.

"Really?" he raises an eyebrow.

I nod.

"Well then what is it?" I can see how hard he's trying, trying to have everything be perfect. It's rather cute.

I wave him off, as if dismissing the question and he shrugs, going back to setting out the food.

-------

After a wonderful meal of turkey sandwiches, grapes, and Doritos, I go to sit on the edge of the bluff.

The sky is gorgeous. Near the horizon, it's orange and as it spreads into the rest of the sky it goes from orange to pink to a deep purple.

"Pretty huh?" Luke asks as he sits down next to me. I nod and continue to let the ocean breeze blow my hair.

"I think it's pretty, but there's one thing here that's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen," he leans closer to me. "It's you Maybelline. You're gorgeous."

I turn my head and we share another kiss.

"I got you something," he murmurs.

Why did he get me something? I don't need him spending money on me.

He fishes in his pocket and comes out with a black box.

He opens it and reveals a necklace. A silver chain with a silver letter L on it. The L has rhinestones, or diamonds, I really don't know, outlining it so it shimmers.

I gasp. It's really too pretty for me.

"Let me put it on," he says as he stands up and moves my hair aside.

I feel his fingers brush my neck and I get goosebumps even though it's warm.

"There," he announces, as he sits back down. "Now everyone will know you're mine."

I smile and run my fingers over the cool metal letter.

It's perfect.

-------------

A/N

#MAYBELLUKE

YAY

who do you ship?

#maybelluke

#Laybel

???????

C O M M E N T

&

V O T E

-Jules

(Ps.

Tacos are amazing)