☠Task Two: Entries 15-28☠

Bonnie Everheartte

When all is left to you

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

No one coming through

"That!"

"Bonnie, how much of that gas did you inhale?"

Oh what's a girl to do?

What is she to do, indeed? She could hear it, loud and clear, a melody carried by a sweet, lilting voice. But Georgie continues to stare at her in confusion, obviously worried about the apparent side effect of the fresh-scented drug from the cave they had just escaped from. Is it a side effect? Bonnie doesn't know. However, it seems like Georgie cannot hear the voice, and Bonnie's sure that they both inhaled roughly the same amount of gas from the cave of lava.

Why can she hear it, then?

If the will demands

"Nevermind," Bonnie decides, "We should keep going. We need to find food." The backpacks they had stolen from dead tributes contained useful supplies—rope, a flashlight and the like—but Bonnie and Georgie had already consumed what little food they had found. The last of their stash is a packet of broken crackers and some nuts.

"You sure?" Georgie's eyes are wary and concerned.

"Yeah."

A sudden change of plans

The music seems louder now, but Bonnie tries to tune it out. They pass upon another cave, this one cooler in temperature than the last. Bonnie peeks inside, and is relieved to find a gleaming pool just a few meters away from the mouth. The surface of the water moves like some sort of liquid mirror, indicating life beneath its watery depths.

The cave itself is small, almost like a chamber, but there are all sorts of crevices and ledges along its walls. Moss grows and blankets most of the rocks. Water leaks through some of the gaps, making some parts shimmer with moisture.

"Hey, maybe there's fish!" Georgie exclaims, eyes lighting up with delight.

"I'm gonna go and see. Cover for me?"

"You sure you don't need my help?"

"Can you swim?"

"Well..."

Bonnie laughs, and gives the younger girl a slight push. "Go. Scream if someone comes."

"You say that like I can't defend myself." She scrunches up her nose in mock disgust, eliciting another laugh from Bonnie.

"Well..."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

Bonnie enjoys their banter. In fact, if she's thankful for anything in this second life, it would be meeting this girl. A wispy little thing, too quick to laugh and smile, a glimmer of innocence still shining through in her second life. She wonders if this is what it's like to have a sister. She'd like it, she thinks. The only family she'd ever had was her grandmother.

Such a shame only one of them will survive.

Casting a wistful look at her ally, now positioned right at the entrance, she takes off her backpack, boots and socks. All that aside, Bonnie takes her spear and plunges right it.

She regrets it the moment she is submerged.

There you saw a dirty one

The singing returns, and it intensifies underwater. But this time, a memory comes with it. Or is it a memory? It feels more like a movie. She sees herself, back in Four, all sun kissed skin and bright blue eyes. Fiery hair flickers along with the breeze, laughter tinkling like bells. Happy and relaxed.