Chapter 24

Solána
October 26, 2017
After School

   It was now after school, and me and my friends were all in Nyema's car making our way to The Clover.

I sent Marcus a text inviting him to come. I put my phone back in my bag when I was done.

   Jhene Aiko's, " Sativa" , filled the car. I bopped my head to the sultry song, getting lost in her words.

Is it hot in here or is it just me?
I'm so high in here, been smokin' on this weed
Told 'em, "Go on, take a shot on three"
Told 'em, "Drinks is on me"
Yeah, the drinks are on me
I said now go and take a shot on me
Only drug a bitch is on is the tree
But I lasted ten rounds like a freak
Like a G

All of a sudden the music gets turned down.

" So how was school, guysss..." Nyema speaks, looking at all of us.

" Girl I don't even want to talk about it. I took about three tests and my feet still hurts from dance." Tony says.

   Today Tony was bare faced, and had her hair in a ponytail. She was dressed in sweats and a hoodie. You could tell school was stressing her.

   " Samee, my feet are killing me." Nyema agrees.

  " How about you, Rayne?" Tony asks.

    " We drawing landscapes in art, and I smoked a joint with one of my friends in the bathroom." She answers nonchalantly.

   We bust out laughing at Rayne. "Girl you better be careful. You know how they are at Julliard." I warn.

     " Yeah I know, mom." Rayne looks back at me smiling.

    " And you Solána?" Nyema asks, looking at me through the rear view mirror.

     " Same ol, same ol. Except I'm in poetry instead of theater now." I decide to not tell my friends about Nokia.

     I knew how they could be. If it wasn't someone they knew they acted like they weren't important or was less than them. 

    Nokia was definitely different, and my friends weren't very nice to people who didn't think and act like them.

     " I feel you girl. Glad you got out that dumb ass theater class." Nyema says.

      I look out the window, realizing we had arrived at The Clover. Nyema parks in front of the diner and we all get out the car.

     When we go inside I see that the diner is filled with a couple of people, mostly older. The radio is playing very lowly at the front of the place.

     We get to a booth, and all get comfortable inside it. After a minute or two, Ms. Daisy, the owner comes up to serve us.

    " Well, well, well. If it isn't my favorite group of girls." She says looking down at us with a smile.

" Hey Ms. Daisy." We all greet.

Ms. Daisy was a skinny white woman from Tennessee. Even though she had been living in New York for over ten years, she still had her country accent.

Her hair was white as snow, and her lips looked like an old prune. She was dressed in her green and white Clover uniform.

" What can I get for you girls ?" She says looking at us attentively.

" I'll get the cheeseburger with fries." Rayne speaks up.

" I want an order of mozeralla sticks" Tony says.