Chapter 10

October 13, 2017
After School...

Nokia

I made my way to my locker as my last class of the day ended.  I quickly grabbed my skateboard and bag, heading out the door.

   When I got outside I was hit with the cool, fall air. Leaves decorated the ground , as some lingered in the windy sky.

   The smell of car fumes and pastries from , "Delano's" was heavy in the air. The front of the school was filled with cars, as students prepared to go home.

    I waited till the light turned red to cross the street, and then began to skateboard on the sidewalk. The breezy wind chilled my face and made my hair go every which way, as I whizzed past pedestrians and little shops.

   After numerous blocks I finally reached my destination, Sunrise Heights. It was your typical project building. Filled with thugs, violence, and drug use.

   Every other day you heard about someone getting shot or some other graphic shit happening here. I was just glad I was out.

   I exhaled and stopped my skateboard at building 4.  It was a basic, dark brown building that rose 10 stories high. I tucked my skateboard under my arm, before walking up to the building.

  Three guys sat on the concrete stairs playing an intense game of dice and throwing slurs at each other. I walked around them as I felt them staring daggers into my back.

   "That bitch think she too good for people", one of the guys said , as the metal door slammed behind me. I chuckled to myself at their snide remark.

     The inside of the building was filled with a heavy stench of urine, and alcohol. The lights were dim and flickered on and off. I covered my nose as I walked up the stairs to apartment 235. My foster mom's home.

    I rolled my eyes as I heard loud music playing, and yelling from the apartment .It was one of her parties.

    She partied day in and day out, having the house filled with winos, bums, and even drug addicts. The house was always loud ,and filled with people that were high and inebriated.

   I don't understand how she even qualified to have foster children when she was so unfit. She spent all the money she got from the government on liquor and drugs, and stayed partying.

    I'm  just glad I was no longer in her household and didn't have to put up with it.

     The only thing that was holding me back is the fact that my brother was still in her  household . He wasn't yet legal , and would still have to face these conditions.

    And I couldn't take him out the house, so there wasn't much I could do but give him money to make sure he was straight.

    But most of the time Melissa took the money from him using it on her own selfish needs, and even nagged me for extra money.

  I always gave her money without hesitation though, because I know she is petty and would no longer let me see my brother if I didn't.

   I just wish things were easier.

I pounded on the door, waiting for someone to answer. Eventually someone came opening the door up for me.

As soon as the door opened I was hit with the stench of alcohol, weed, and old grease. The man who opened the door was one of her usual partygoers.

He was a light skin man with minimal teeth and coarse hair. He always wore a worn leather jacket that carried a stench of must. His name around the way was Donald because his big, chapped lips resembled Donald Duck.