45: The Call.

*****

Day 9 of 10 left

The next day approached like a blur to the both of them.

One more day.’

Conan was troubled. He was having difficulty thinking of worthy reasons for Haibara, yet it feels like all the reasons he could think of were worthless. He massaged his temple as he felt his head throbbed in exhaustion.

Today was just exhausting. The kids were just busybodies. And now, they were currently preparing to leave camp.

Haibara, on the other hand, does not know how to feel. She was conflicted. She inconspicuously looks at the detective. He was busy putting the tent on the car. After several minutes, they were ready to leave. 

On the way home, they did not engage in any conversation, which was weird. They feel like they need to talk but then they can’t find the right words to say. Well, not yet. Their other companions seem to be oblivious of their serious expressions though.

The two did not seem to notice when the car stopped, and the kids dropped off first. They give them a look of confusion before they wave goodbye to them, though the professor was the only one who responded. Each just seem to be lost in their own worlds.

It was Hakase who brought them back to reality.

“Shinichi! We’re here!” he called as he parked the car in front of the Kudo mansion. Conan thoughtlessly got his bag and got off the car, but not before giving a meaningful glance to the scientist. Haibara had trouble understanding what the look meant. She just nodded at him as goodbye.

*****

Kudo Manor
2:17 PM

Conan sighed as he went inside his house. He slammed the door shut and trotted off to the couch in the living room. He closed his eyes for a moment as his head throbbed in pain.

He can’t think straight.

What should I do?’ he mentally asked himself. He can feel the frustration on his chest.

He was about to stand up to get some drink when his phone rang. It was Shinichi’s phone. He fished it out of his pocket.

The caller was Ran.

*****

He took out his voice-changing bowtie and adjusted it to Shinichi’s voice before he answered.

“Hello?” he asked hesitantly.

It took Ran five seconds to answer. She sighed before she said, “H-hey, Shinichi?”

“Yeah?”

“I have something to tell you Shinichi.” Ran replied in a serious tone.

Conan automatically held his breath at her tone. She seems so serious and…sad.

“S-Shinichi…” she called, her voice starting to crack, like she was starting to cry.

“Hey, Ran. Are you crying? What’s the problem?” he worriedly asked.

Ran ignored his questions though. Instead, she asked, “When…when are you coming back, Shinichi?”

There was silence on the other line for a moment. “I…I don’t know Ran. I think I will not be back anymore.” He said slowly.

Ran stifled a cry. “I…”

It was heartbreaking to hear her like this. “Sorry, Ran.”

“No…no, Shinichi. I think I should be the one apologizing right now.” Ran whispered.

“What do you mean?” he asked, confusion evident on his voice.

“I…I’m getting married, Shinichi.” She said slowly.

It took Conan some time to understand what she had just said. ‘Ran was getting married? To whom?’ he mentally asked.

“Shinichi…?” Ran’s voice asked hesitatingly on the other side.

“Yeah. I’m still here.” He answered. “I’m sorry, but could you repeat what you just said?”

Ran let out a breath before she speaks again, “I’m getting married, Shinichi. Araide asked me and I said yes. He’s a good guy, and I think I’ll give him a chance. I think I’m starting to fall for him. I’m sorry, I said I’ll wait for you but I don’t think I can wait for you anymore.” She whispered in guilt.

Conan took a breath to pull his thoughts together. Surprisingly, he was not that sad nor devastated on the news. He closed his eyes, and was surprised when a familiar image of a certain auburn-haired girl popped in his mind. He smiled unknowingly.

Is it because of Haibara?’ he asked himself as he felt his chest for any remorse. There was none.

“Shinichi?” he heard Ran called again on the other line.

He smiled before he answered. “Congratulations on your engagement Ran.”

He heard Ran gasped. “You’re not angry with me?” she asked disbelievingly.

He let out a chuckle. “No. In fact I was glad, Ran. I’m glad that your moving on with your life now. I want you to be happy.”

“A-Are you sure?” she stuttered. Still not believing him. But she can feel no anger nor remorse on his tone. There was sadness, yes. But she can feel contentment on the other line too.

“Yeah. Congratulations, Ran. Really.”

There was a moment of comfortable silence between them.

“Thanks, Shinichi.” Ran said after some time. “I hope you’ll find someone too.”

The detective smiled before he answered. He was thinking of a certain ice queen. “Yeah.”

Their call ended.

*****

A/N: Did that end well? What do you think will happen next? Hahaha. :)