27: Subtle Thoughts

*****

“Ai-chan! You look wonderful!” Ayumi exclaimed as she approached their table.

Haibara nods at her and replied, “You too, Yoshida-san. Your dress suits you really well.”

Ayumi’s eyes brightened at her comment, “You think so?”

“Yeah.” The scientist responded with a smile.

“Conan-kun! Let’s eat?” Ayumi called as she saw the detective approaching.

The detective hesitantly moves towards them, not landing his gaze on the scientist even though he really wanted to stare at her. Gods, he can even stare at her for the whole evening. He was embarrassed, yes. He wanted to apologize about their fight yesterday, but he can’t seem to find the right words, especially with the kids around.

“I’m not yet hungry, Ayumi-chan. You can go ahead if you want.” He replied as he watched the scientist at the corner of his eyes.

His breath hitched when he caught the scientist also looking at him. ‘Haibara’s looking at me?’

“Okay then, I’ll get food. Genta-kun, let’s go!” Ayumi answered as she got up on the table and pulled Genta up for company.

Mitsuhiko, Haibara and Conan were the only ones left on the table.

Awkward silence ensued.

Conan cleared his throat to break it. “You two are late. Did something happen?” he asked while looking seriously at the scientist.

Haibara just looks at him, like she does not intend to talk to him. There was tension between them. Mitsuhiko looked confusingly at the two.

“We caught up on traffic Conan. There was this accident on the road, and it caused a great deal of traffic.” He replied.

“An accident? Are you two alright?” he asked, still looking at her.

The scientist decided to answer, “Yeah, we are. Obviously, right Tsuburaya-kun?”

Before Mitsuhiko could even answer, the music on the hall changes.

“Come on, let’s dance.” Haibara stated as she stood up and head towards the dance floor.

Mitsuhiko looked confused for a second before his eyes lit up and he followed the scientist.

Conan was left there, annoyed, hurt and confused at the same time.

Is she mad at me?’ he mumbled to himself as he watched the two dance in the music.

*****

Teitan High School
23:11

Many hours have passed since the ball started. More than half an hour more and it’s already midnight. Haibara was getting bored, and annoyed because all the boys always ask him for a dance everytime she’s available. And she all declined them anytime. Only the detective boys have that chance with her. Yet strangely so, Conan still hadn’t asked her to dance, which embarrassing as it may seem to admit, she is hopeful for.

She  was looking for him by the time she stepped inside the hall, and yes, her heartbeat doubled when their eyes met. He was, in any definition, devilishly handsome. But of course, she will not tell him that. Besides, she said it to herself that she will not talk to him yet. Not that she’s mad at him. No, she will never be mad at him. But because she knows her walls will crumble again, if she talks with him.

She glanced at her watch. It was getting really late, and all the students seem wasted. Yes, oh yes, this was an school affair, but the students had managed to sneak a few wines for drinks. She doesn’t know how, and she didn’t care but she also sipped only a few. She searched for her date, Mitsuhiko, and she found him with Ayumi and the others dancing lively at the beat. Her eyes automatically searched for the detective, but he was nowhere in sight. She sighed as she stands up. She headed towards the back door, where she knew was the garden located. She hoped no one was there at the moment. She needed some time alone to think.

*****

Conan came back from the bath room, and he had enjoyed the few minutes of silence there. It was only a means of escape from all the girls who was beginning to become desperate in catching his attention.

Gods, just what is wrong with teens these days?

Every time he sits on their table, a random girl comes and asks him rather flirtatiously if he wanted to dance. Of course, he had declined. He still hadn’t dance with Haibara, there’s no way he will dance with just any other girl.

He had been observing her for a time now, and as expected large group of boys swarm around her like smitten ones. And as expected also, she had coolly shooed them off with her usual cold aura. He wanted to ask her for a dance, really, it was all he wanted this evening, but he was scared of what her response will be. She had already dance with Mitsuhiko several times, and he had been restraining himself to not wipe off that wide grin on Mitsuhiko’s face. Even Genta had the chance to dance with her.

So why is he afraid of asking her to dance, you ask? Surely, she will accept since from his point of view, she’s only willing with the members of the detective boys, and technically he is but a member. But considering what happened to them yesterday, and her attitude towards him earlier, he doubts if she will oblige.

Funny, he was such a man full of confidence, but it seems to fade out whenever it concerns her.

He glanced around, and his heart thundered when he did not see her. He automatically searched for the detective boys, and he found them still enjoying on the dance floor. They seem wasted. Have they been drinking too much?

Where is she?’ he mumbled as he scanned the hall again. He noticed that the back door was slightly agape. ‘Did she go outside?’ he thought as his feet move towards the said exit.

*****

A/N: Look forward to them having a moment next chapter. Hahaha!