12: Blame

*****

It was getting late, yet the Hakase could not make Haibara eat nor sleep. She was just sitting near the detective’s bed, silently watching him. He knew she was still blaming herself for what happened to Shinichi. He sighed as he also knew her feelings for him, though she did not tell him. He just knew.

“Ai-kun…” he softly called.

She cut him off before he can manage a remark, “I’m not hungry Hakase, and I am going to sleep later.”

The professor sighed again. “Okay. I’m just here if you need me.” He said as he laid in the couch on the other side of the room. He was just about to doze off, when the door loudly burst open.

“Conan-kun!” the worried voice of Ran Mouri filled the room, as she rushed to the shrunken detective’s side.

“Ran-kun!” the professor exclaimed to get her attention.

“Hakase, what happened? I came as soon as I heard what happened. How is Conan-kun?!” she worriedly asked.

“He was stabbed, Ran-kun. It was in a case.” Hakase answered.

Ran's eyes turned melancholic.  "A case... again." she whispered to herself. She was reminded of Shinichi again.  As time passed, she noticed that Conan and Shinichi are very much alike, like they were the same person but different age. Sometimes, she wanted to believe that they are the same person, but that is just absurd, right? 

She smiled sadly, as she shook her head slowly to wash away her stupod thoughts.

She looked at Conan who was sleeping peacefully on the hospital bed. Alongside him was Haibara, who was inconspicuously watching her. She took a chair, and sat beside her.

Haibara just silently watched her. 

"Ai-chan, are you alright?" she gently asked her. 

Haibara averted her gaze as she answered. "Yeah, thanks to Edogawa-kun."

Ran smiled as she heard her answer. "That's Conan for you, he always wanted to protect those with him even if he will get hurt himself."

"This idiot..." Haibara whispered. "It should have been me. It should have been me. It's my fault... " she was rambling, and Ran could not help but feel pity towards the young lady. She was being consumed in guilt.

"Ai-chan... " she called as she put a hand on her shoulder. "It's not your fault."

Haibara looked at her in surprise. She was expecting that they will shout at her, blame her for what happened but why aren't they?

"Why can't you just say that it's my fault?" she whispered weakly as she look down.

"Because it's not your fault, Ai-chan. It never is. So stop blaming yourself, okay?"

Haibara looked at her in the eyes, and was surprised that there was just sincerity in there. It was pure kindness that she felt. She can't help but think of her late sister.

She just nodded in answer. 

"Okay then!" Ran exclaimed after a moment. "As much as I wanted to, I need to go home. Dad must be wondering where am I now, cause I haven't got the chance to tell him. But we'll visit tomorrow, if time permits. Work is getting hectic."

Ran was now working in the office with her mom. Sometimes, she would coach those students that are interested with karate, but she's not joining on competitions herself. She was getting old, she reasoned.  No wonder, ten years is such a long time. And honestly, she was losing hope that Shinichi will be back. He rarely contacted her, and as much as she wanted, she did not know when he will appear to her. Her mom encouraged her to entertain suitors, because she was afraid that she will end up alone. She just laughed as an answer. But one of her suitors, Araide-sensei, was persistent. Who knows?

Again, she was drowned in her own thoughts when the professor answered.

"Okay, Ran-kun. See you then. Take care on your way home."

"Thanks, Hakase." She said as she stood up and walk towards the door.

"Ai-chan," she called before leaving "take care of Conan-kun, okay?"

And with that, she was gone.

*****

A/N: And then there was Ran. Hahahaha! I was uncomfortable writing this chap, so it was kind of short. Hahahahaha. I updated because I was happy. Screw work! x_x And thanks for reading! ❤❤❤

P. S. And oh, this is the end of Day 3, if ever you guys are wondering. Well, just saying. Haha!