16: Frustration.

*****

Day 10

It was still early yet Conan woke up already. He groggily rubbed his eyes to get rid of any trace of sleep that he was still feeling. His mind flashed back to what had happened yesterday and he can't help but be more annoyed. Just a day had passed since he had stayed in the professor, and Haibara was acting like he isn't there. She was always cooped in the basement or in her room doing God knows what. She only went out when it was time to cook and eat.

Just what is her problem? Even he hasn't had the time to confront her.

If not just for the professor's insistence, he must have gone back to his house already.

He decided to stand up and headed for the kitchen. He needs a coffee.

*****

Haibara, on the other hand was feeling restless. She had tried to catch some sleep but to no avail. The mere thought of Conan staying under the same roof just give her a feeling that she cannot comprehend. She was glad to see him all safe and sound already, yet she just feels awkward every time their eyes meet. She did not really know what to feel when he's around her thus she tends to avoid him rather unconsciously.

She can still vividly remember what happened in the hospital several nights ago, and as much as she hated to admit, she liked the way they talk that night. Like they were the only persons in the world. But then she can imagine Mouri-san getting in the picture. Although Conan doesn't say it, she knew that he still desires to go back and be with her. It was evident in his face when she saw him and Mouri-san hugging. And it hurts her.

Ah...she needs to free her mind from all the negativity, yet she can't help but be pessimistic.

She sighed through her nose.

'Gods, I need a coffee.' She said to herself as she stood up and headed to the door.

*****

The whole house was quiet as the shrunken scientist made her way towards the kitchen. She didn't even bother to open the light, she was used in seeing with little illumination. Besides, in just few minutes, the sun will start to rise. She was several steps from the kitchen when she saw the detective also preparing a drink.

She was taken aback for a second. She thought she was the only one awake first. She was about to turn back to her room when the detective noticed her.

"Haibara." Conan's voice seems to sound deeper than usual.

"O-oh, Kudo-kun. It's you." She stuttered as she tried to sound as normal as possible. But with the detective's keen ears, he still detected the discomfort in her voice. Again, he felt an unexplainable tightening in his chest.

"Don't you need coffee? That's your reason for heading here, right?" Conan inquired.

"Yeah, but I've changed my mind. I'll just go back to sleep." She replied, not looking at him.

He raised a brow. It was obvious that she was lying. It was clear that she was avoiding him. But the question is why?

He heaved a sigh. "You can stay here and make your coffee. I was just about to go."

"No. I'll go back to my room." she insisted as she took a step towards the door.

Conan felt irritated. They were getting nowhere, and his curiosity is eating him. Before the scientist could even take another step, he strides towards her and held her wrist.

"What's wrong with you?" he asked rather sharply.

Haibara first shot a glance at his hand before she attempted to pull her arm away from his hold. The detective did not even bulge.