35: Banters.

*****

“Thanks.” Conan said after he had a change of clothes. He felt refreshed, at the same time, embarrassed. All the while when Haibara was changing his clothes, he found it so hard to restrain himself from pulling her to an embrace. Gods, he wanted to hug her.

“Welcome.” She whispered in equal embarrassment, yet not obvious.

Awkward silence ensued for the next minute before the detective decided to break it. He faked a cough.

“You know what, it feels like déjà vu. Last time, you were the sick one. And now I’m the patient and it was you taking care of me.”

Haibara held out a chuckle. “Right. I was thinking of the same thing earlier.” She confessed. “But I think, you’re in a much more helpless state. At least, I can change my clothes on my own.”

Conan grunted. “Shut up.” He mumbled while he can feel his ears burn in embarrassment.

“You hungry? We skipped lunch.” Haibara mentioned. By the mere mention of food, Conan’s stomach seems to awaken. He felt his stomach churned in hunger.

“Yeah.” He admitted.

Haibara nodded. She stood up and headed out, ready to cook some food.

“Hai…” Conan automatically called when she was about to leave. He just blurted it out without really thinking.

Haibara raised her brow, puzzled. “Anything?” She was getting used to hearing the nickname he gave her.

Conan shook his head in puzzlement. He, too, was bewildered with his sudden call of her name. Maybe it was out of fear that she might not come back. Wait…Where did that thought come from?

“Nothing…just…” he hesitated. He really doesn’t know what he’ll say.

Haibara smirked. “Don’t worry, detective. I can cook fairly well, if that’s what you are worried about.”

He let out a chuckle at what she said. “Right.” He hesitated a bit before adding in an audible whisper, “Just…just don’t take too long, ‘kay? I need you in sight.”

Haibara was too chagrined to reply. She quickly left the room before the detective can observe her reddening cheeks.

*****

After half an hour, Haibara went back with a porridge. Its smell lingered in the room, enough to jumpstart Conan’s hunger. She slowly placed the food tray on his bedside table. Conan weakly tried to sit properly on his bed.

“Don’t tell me you don’t have enough strength to eat on you own as well?” Haibara bewilderedly asked.

Conan chuckled. He wanted to tease the scientist a bit. “You’re a mind reader now? How did you know that?”

Haibara snorted in disdain, much to Conan’s amusement. “I can’t believe you.” She commented, but simultaneously gets the bowl of porridge.

This time, Conan let out a laugh. Haibara glared at him, obviously annoyed. “I can put poison on your food, you know. If you annoy me that much.” She grumbled.

If possible, Conan’s laughter became louder. He is laughing in glee. “Hey! That’s not fair. I’m sick here, you see.” he bellowed.

“Not obviously though, since you’re about to die in laughter there.” She commented as she secretly smiled. Just hearing the detective’s laughter puts her in a preferably good mood.

“Okay. Okay.” Conan agreed as he took the bowl of porridge from her hand. “I’ll eat on my own, woman. Thank you very much.” He smirked while she just rolled her eyes in return.

*****

“This taste great!” Conan commented as he eats.

Haibara smirked at his comment, “Of course.” She proudly affirms, then continued in a rather teasing voice, “Not like the great food of someone I know.”

Conan flushed in embarrassment. “Just you see, woman. I’ll definitely cook better than you!”

It was Haibara’s turn to laugh now. “Gods, I was just kidding! Though, not really about the ‘great’ taste of your cooking.”

Conan throw her a look of daggers. She just smirked.

They were quiet for a moment, as Conan eats. After he finished, he looks up and smiled, “Hey…how about you? Aren’t you hungry?”

Haibara’s eyes shot heavenwards. “Now, now detective. Now that you’re full, you can now think about someone’s wellbeing other than yourself? Thank you very much.” She replied in sarcasm.

The detective’s ears reddened with guilt and embarrassment. Indeed, he had forgotten about her because of intense hunger. She did not eat earlier too, right?

“Uhh…I forgot. Sorry.” He chuckled. “Did you eat?”

Haibara’s lips lifted in a smile. “Yes. Earlier, while I was preparing for your food.”

Conan sighed in relief. “Good. I thought I was a selfish, ungrateful bastard, eating here without restrain, while you are there hungry.”

She smirked at his comment. “Well, whether I already ate or not, I think that statement is still correct. You somehow accurately and miraculously described your whole self in that one sentence.”

Conan deadpanned. “Oi, Oi.”

She just raised her brow in arrogance.

“Come on, give me a break, woman.” He exasperated but smiling.

Haibara smirked and replied rather playfully, “You know you can never win against me.”

Conan contemplated for a bit.

“But…you know what, Hai?” the detective commented after a while. Haibara looks at him questioningly. Something in the tone of his voice told her that he was serious. “I’ve been thinking lately, what would happen if you’re gone? But then I wanted to smack my head for even having that thought. I don’t want a life without you now, Hai. Though I’m pretty sure that I still can live without you since I have lived my life before but now that you’re here, I can’t even imagine how my life will turn out if you're not here. Our banters? Even though I always lost them and ends up feeling like a total idiot, I don’t hate it. In fact, I like it. It’s comforting in a sort kind of way. So reason number two, Hai: Without you and your banters, my life would definitely be boring as hell.”

*****

A/N: How's that for reason number two? I definitely hope you'll tell me what you think about this chapter. Thank you very much! :)

Told you, updates are spontaneous. Hahahaha