36: Name.

*****

Day 3 of 10 left
7AM

Conan woke up feeling a lot better the next day. The weather was still unstable, and it was still raining outside. He sighed. He felt his forehead. There was still a slight fever, but his head is not throbbing anymore. It was tolerable. Besides he gets a good reason to just stay in bed and rest. He doesn’t feel like moving around at the moment.

He scanned the room for someone’s presence. He wondered if Haibara went home last night. He was not even aware that he had fallen asleep. He gets up slowly from bed, and headed outside his door. That’s when the strong smell of coffee lingered on his nose. He automatically smiled.

It’s Haibara. I knew it.’ He deduced as he walk downstairs toward the kitchen.

True enough, the shrunken scientist’s back greeted him as she was busy brewing some coffee. She did not even notice his presence.

He observed her a bit.

She was wearing an oversized shirt, which he assumes was his considering that it was familiar. He smiled. She looks good on his shirt. He felt his ears burned by the thought.

He faked a cough. Haibara turned towards him.

“ H-hey…” he said as he felt his cheeks burn a bit at her sight. ‘What the hell. It’s early in the morning, and I’m blushing just by looking at her face? Seriously?!’ he wanted to scold himself and literally hit his head.

Haibara seems to be oblivious though as she was preoccupied with the coffee.

“You’re awake. How are you feeling?” she asked.

“Uhmm…Fine, I guess.” He answered and proceeded to sat on the chair. “I woke up at the smell of coffee.”

The scientist nodded. “My day will never really start without a coffee. I took the liberty to snoop around your cupboard, which is mostly empty by the way, but thank God I still found some bread to go with the coffee. You want some?”

He nodded at her question. “I never really bothered to fill my stocks of food.” He admitted shamelessly.

Haibara smirked. “Because you always rely on the professor and eat next door? Yeah, that’s understandable. Considering the great cooking skills of the great detective.” She teased.

Conan grunted at her comment. “Not that again with my cooking. Give it a rest, will you?” he pleaded.

Haibara looked at him in the eye and said, “I know you like it.”

Conan just shrugged his shoulder as a reply.

*****

“Where did you sleep last night?” he asked as they start to eat some bread for breakfast.

“I slept on the couch in the living room. The other rooms are a mess. Do you even clean?” she asked as her eyes turned slits, judging him.

“Ugh…” Conan chose not to answer the question.

“And I borrowed your shirt. It was raining hard, I dreaded on going home.”

Conan smiled. “It’s okay. It looks great on you.” He complimented without second thought.

Haibara’s eyes widened for a bit at his comment before she resumed her expressionless façade.

A moment of comforting silence enveloped the two. Conan was about to say something when Haibara heard it.

“Hey…what was that?” she asked.

Conan looked confusingly at her. “What is?” he asked but was silenced with Haibara’s glare. “Shhh…”

Then they heard it.

“Meow…” a cat came from the chair behind. It was a fluffy little thing.

Haibara’s eyes shone as she leaned down to stroke the cat’s head. “Is this…?” she began to ask.

Conan nodded. “The guy you brought several days ago before you went out cold, yep, it is him alright.”

The cat seems to like her presence for it purred and approached her closer. It has gained some weight since it was brought here at the detective’s place. She picks it up and let it sit on her lap. She gently stroked it, causing it to purr louder.

“I almost forgot about him.” She said as she continues to pet it. She unknowingly smiled.

Conan smiled at the sight. He knew Haibara always has a soft spot for animals. It was obvious that the cat put her in a good mood.

“How come I didn’t see him last night?” she asked.

“He must have been asleep in the study. He was always there. And all he does is just eat and eat and then sleep.”

“All cats are like that.” She emphasized.

Conan grunted. “Right. Then let me get him some food.” He said as he stands and headed towards the kitchen counter. He opened a drawer and get some cat food.

“Funny…” he said as he makes its food ready. “I was always out of  stock for my food, but that cat has enough stocks to last for years.”

Haibara chuckled. “I’m glad you know your priorities.”

“Well, I know you’ll kill me if you knew I’m starving some cat here with me.” He replied.

“Indeed.” She affirmed as she let the cat go to his food.

They watched contently as it eats his food hungrily.

“What did you name him?” she asked all of a sudden.

Conan stared hesitatingly at her, then looks down like the floor just got interesting.

Haibara followed. “Don’t tell me you didn’t give him one? How dare you.” She threw him a look of daggers.

“I…It has a n-name. I named him cat. Just cat.” He mumbled, his tone obviously embarrassed.

She looked at him incredulously. “Just what the hell, Kudo-kun? How did you even tolerate such negligence? You lived with the cat for how many days now, and you haven’t even given him a decent name!”

"I did!" he answered defensively. "I named him CAT!"

Haibara looks murderously at him.

He sweatdropped, looks at her sheepishly, then after a while grinned. “Well, maybe that’s my reason number three: You need to think of a name worthy for that cat.”

Haibara just dumbfoundedly stared at him.

*****

A/N: Hahahaha. I know, it's kinda lame and funny. 😹😹😹 What would you name the cat? :)