EIGHTY SIX

"so, where's the ring?" dan asked, giggling as phil's pointer finger lightly traced his face. it was late, they were both only wearing boxers, and they were sweating but they still remained as cuddled up as ever above the bedsheets.

"at the jewelry store," phil answered, words slurred. his breath reeked of alcohol but dan didn't mind.

"i thought for sure you would tell me."

"i am telling you," phil laughed when he pinched dan's nose, "i haven't bought it yet. i can't find a time where i could go and you wouldn't know."

"we could go now?" dan tried. one of his hands came to grip phil's hair when he started pressing kisses to dan's neck. they had been more careful with hickey placements lately, but he knew this wasted phil wouldn't care.

"or not. it's supposed to be a surprise, silly." phil bit down on a particularly sensitive spot below his boyfriend's ear and once again at the base of his throat, one hand roaming to the front of dan's boxers.

"no, phil. don't," dan said softly. of course, phil backed off immediately, instead resting his head on dan's chest to listen to his heart. "i love you."

"how much?"

"enough that i quite fearlessly talk about my future often; that i somehow no longer have commitment issues."

"oh we're being deadass serious here? i was just going to say that if i had to choose between getting a dog or being with you, i'd choose you."

"seems pretty serious to me. you know, with how much you talk about wanting a corgi."