Webbed Hands (Mermaid!Lock)

tf when you name the oneshot after the most commonly used phrase in the chapter

#whatevenisrereadingandeditingamiright

Also, apparently I missed Sherlolly week this year and I am RaGiNg like SHITT.  

Also, wow, 21K views... who the heckin heck woulda thought.  For someone with a terrible updating schedule I sure am somehow managing to stay afloat *shameless*

Alright, I'm done now.  Enjoy!

~~~

Molly Hooper always loved the sky. She loved its reliable unreliability. Love how it could be so tranquil and blue one moment yet raging and grey the next. She loved the hazy cascade of pale orange and pink sent streaking across the sky as the sun dipped into the horizon and the ferocious vibrancy of the colors that lit the sky in the morning.

Her hair floated around her shoulders as her head bobbed up and down slightly, her eyes wide as the flicked across the sky. The sun was setting to the west and the heavens, now a pastel rose, were just beginning to become tinted with violet.

Molly's warm eyes fluttered shut and she took lowered herself further into the darkening water, feeling the gills on her neck stretch as she took in the feeling of tranquility.

All of it was shattered with one word.

"Hello." Molly let out a small gasp and twisted around, coming face to face with a familiar defined face.

"Your Majesty," Molly murmured, letting her eyes close and head bow forward as she sunk back into the ocean.

"No need for the formalities, Molly. I'm sure you're just as on edge about the announcement as I am." Molly opened her eyes, letting her gaze drag across the prince. His dark hair floated around his face and his icy eyes met hers. A small frown creased Molly's mouth as she noticed the finns of his golden and black tail twitching anxiously.

"Of course, Sherlock," Molly whispered, though her eyes had trailed back down. She noticed the finns of her tail, all gold, however, twitching as well. They were both tense.

Sherlock's icy eyes found their way upwards, where a small smile traced his lips. "The sky is beautiful right now." Molly followed his gaze, both watching the water distorting their view of the pale sky.

"It always is."

Sherlock looked at her, his head tilted slightly. "There's no need to be nervous you know. Everybody knows you come to the surface for comfort. You won't get in trouble."

Molly tensed and she felt her fists balling. "I am sorry, my prince. It was stupid of me to put myself and you in danger. I... I don't want others to think I get to break the rules just because we're..." Molly trailed off. She turned her back to Sherlock, hugging herself tightly. The merman swam closer to her, his hand reached out to touch her shoulder, but he stopped and retracted it.

"Are you having trouble saying it?" Sherlock whispered. Molly didn't reply immediately.

She bit her lip, straightening herself out. She didn't look back as she said, "I should get going. The feast will be starting soon." Molly took off, leaving only Sherlock with his outstretched webbed hand.

"Wait!" Sherlock cried, flicking his tail and taking off after her. She's fast, Sherlock thought, a small smile on his lips as he hurried to catch up with her. He managed to before they'd reached the feast, grabbing her wrist and pulling her to him.

Molly let out a small yelp as she felt herself jerked backwards and she crashed into Sherlock's chest. The merman wrapped his arms tightly around her as they were both sent spinning through the empty ocean. Molly close her eyes tightly, pressing into Sherlock and she felt him bury his face in the crook of her neck. Eventually their rapid spinning slowed and Molly jerked away from Sherlock, her face red.

"I'm sorry, your Highness," she whispered. She looked up, blinking in surprise, when the sound of laughing met her ears. "Sh- Sherlock?" The prince was laughing. Not even laughing, uncontrollable laughs that racked his entire body. Molly blushed but smiled, his deep, baritone voice ringing in her ears.

"I- I'm so sorry," he said, his voice hiccuping with laughter, "that was incredibly- incredibly rude of me." Despite his apologetic tone, Sherlock was now clutching his stomach with laughter.

"It was!" Molly declared, her arms crossing over her chest even though a smile still traced her lips.

"I don't know what was going through my head!" At this the dark-finned merman practically lost it, closely followed by Molly. Both were aching when their laughs finally settled.

"Molly," Sherlock whispered quietly, swimming close to her. The golden-tailed mermaid stilled, biting her lip and averting her gaze. Sherlock's webbed hand reached up to caress Molly's cheek and his icy gaze met hers. "I'm not disappointed or mad that I was engaged to you."

Molly's eyes widened and she looked up in shock, "but I thought-"

"Yes," Sherlock's voice was hushed, "it was my brother's idea of a cruel trick to chain me to someone for the rest of my life." Molly felt her heart sink in her chest at the prince's choice of words and Sherlock hurried to continue at the look on her face, "but that's how he believed I'd see it. We both know my... adventures have gotten me in a lot of trouble."

"More than a lot of trouble." Molly interrupted.

"Well not that much trouble-"

"If you weren't a prince you'd be banished from the colony."

"Well that's not entirely-"

"You almost started a war with another colony."

"That was a for a case-"

"And so was practically revealing our existence to humans?"

"... yes..."

"I'm beginning to see why your brother 'chained' you to me."

Sherlock slightly winced at the bitterness laced through Molly's voice but he let his webbed hands rest on the back of her neck as he pulled her closer to him. "Yes, you, the little surface-venturer."

Molly's voice lowered to a whisper as she tilted her head up, her dark gaze meeting his. "I have nowhere even near gotten as close to humans as you did." Sherlock grinned.

"You're more fiery than they say you are," he whispered. Molly felt her heart skip a beat but she narrowed her eyes.

"Says you, about the bottom-dweller."

Sherlock's smirk widened, "says me, about the surface-traveler." Molly raised an eyebrow, not letting gaze fall from Sherlock's. His icy stare wandered around Molly's face and her eyes widened slightly. Sherlock leaned forward and Molly stiffened as his lips brushed hers softly. He pulled back slightly, his gaze heavy-lidded. Molly let her eyes flutter shut as she tilted her chin upwards and as Sherlock leant forward and pressed his lips into the mermaids. It was a soft kiss, yet passionate.

"Sherlock," Molly breathed when he pulled back. The merman smirked and winked, tearing from Molly and beginning to swim away.

"W-Where are you going?" Molly called after him, doing her best to calm her racing heart. Sherlock turned to her, a smirk on his lips as his dark hair floated around his face.

"We have a feast to attend, beloved. Can you imagine the look on my dear brothers face if we were to not arrive?" Molly blinked in slight shock, though the same smirk crept on her face and she flicked her tail, hurrying to catch up with him. Above them, the pink skies gave to indigo and the moon began to rise from the horizon.