Of Body Parts and Blushes

PAPERMAN! ^^^  requested by reggiegurl66

•••

Sherlock Holmes stared at his phone, his finger hovering over the 'send' button.  For over half an hour he'd been in that position, the only sound in 221B the quick, quiet ticking of his watch. 

Sherlock closed his eyes and took a deep breath, slowly bringing his finger down when the screen suddenly changed and his ringer began to rattle.  Sherlock let out a sharp exhale and dropped his phone on the floor, inwardly cursing whoever chose to call at that exact moment.

Still furious, the detective picked up his phone, blinking when he looked at the Caller ID.  The nerves that had previously settled in him suddenly returned as Sherlock took a deep breath and pressed answer.

"Molly?"

"Hi, Sherlock!  Are you busy?"

Sherlock considered saying yes due to the uncontrollable shaking of his hand but he gulped down this.... whatever this was and replied, "no."

"Wonderful, I was hoping you could check on the body?"

Sherlock nearly dropped his phone again, feeling a red hot something sear through his face. 

"I-I don't- you're not... sorry, what?"

"The new body that came in, haven't you seen the news?  Some local businessman was murdered, I thought you'd be over here by now.  I was just checking to make sure everything is okay."

Sherlock sniffed, running a hand through his hair, "no, yeah.  Everything's perfectly fine.  I'll just... come in now."

The statement sounded more like a question than an answer and he inwardly cursed himself.

"Uh yeah, see you soon?"

Sherlock hung up.  He set his phone down on the armrest and ran his fingers over his palms, surprised to see they were sweaty.  A cold chill ran down the detectives back and he froze, a single thought running through his mind.

Oh no.

•••

Sherlock worked diligently on the body laid out in the morgue, examining all the little details that caught his eye.  Things soon became clearer and clearer and Sherlock was just grateful that Molly hadn't shown up yet.

"Oh, Sherlock!  Didn't know you were here yet."

Spoke too soon.

Sherlock sniffed and turned around, doing his best to keep a cool composure upon seeing the pathologist standing before him.  Molly had her hair pulled back in a ponytail, however loose strands fell from it, lightly framing her face.  The pathologist wore a jumper and jeans under her lab coat and subtle lipstick was painted on her mouth.

Sherlock blinked, feeling his breath catch in his throat and instead he looked at the ground, turning away from Molly and distracting himself with the cadaver in front of him.

From behind Sherlock, Molly raised an eyebrow, looking at the detective curiously.  She slowly crept around to the other side of the table, clearing her throat awkwardly as Sherlock mumbled under his breath as he worked on the corpse on the table.

"I- Is everything okay.... Sherlock?"  The detective froze, looking up at her.

No, not okay at all.

"Yes, everything's fine, Molly."  He went back to examining the cadaver and Molly raised an eyebrow.

"Are you sure?"