Puppy Love

Note: this isn't a hound AU I just liked the picture 😅 aight READ NOW MY SHERLOLLY LOVING CHILDREN

~~~

The sun was just starting to set, the sky fading to a deep indigo and stars beginning to poke out from behind darkening clouds. Sherlock Holmes walked with his head down. The wind left his coat billowing behind him and Sherlock's wild hair was whipped around in the harsh breeze.

He passed dark alleyways, the streetlights beginning to flicker on and brightening the cobblestone streets in which he walked. Sherlock was glowering at nothing in particular, anger narrowing his eyes.

A particularly frustrating case had left him exceedingly irritated and discouraged, causing him to go on an unwelcomed ramble towards a certain... partner of his. Muttering to himself Sherlock shoved his hands in his coat pockets, grumbling about the case as his mind raced with possibilities.

He was passing a flickering streetlight when he heard it. A whine. At first Sherlock had thought it was a human, though that possibility was ruled out almost immediately. He looked around with narrowed eyes, squinting into a dark alleyway. The flickering streetlight did little to help him, though Sherlock could just make out the outline of a shape against against the blanketing darkness.

Sherlock froze, listening for the sound again. It came once more, cutting through the nighttime quiet like a knife. The whine, however, was gone as soon as it had come, making Sherlock irritated. A bird, perhaps?

He walked cautiously towards the dark alleyway, rapidly blinking in attempt to adjust to the darkness. Sherlock let out a small ooph when he accidentally kicked something. The whine sounded out again and Sherlock exhaled sharply when he realized the sound was coming from directly in front of him.

Sherlock bent down, his hands rummaging through the darkness. His breath trailed out in large white plumes as he felt a damp cardboard box. Slowly Sherlock reached inside, though he almost immediately pulled his hands back out when he felt something brush his skin.

Tentatively Sherlock reached back down, feeling for the creature once more. Fur, ears, a paw. It was a dog. Sherlock sighed in relief and pulled the wriggling dog out of the box. It whined but made no attempt to escape Sherlock's grasp.

The wind almost caught Sherlock by surprise with its excessive force but he caught himself, pressing the dog tightly to his chest as he stumbled to a working streetlight to get a better look at it.

Sherlock blinked as he held up the dog. It was young, male, still in its puppy stages, maybe three, four months old at the most. It had patchy silvery grey and white fur as well as dark blue eyes. Without a doubt a stray, left for someone to pick it up or to fend for itself. The puppy wriggled in Sherlock's grasp and he realized with a blink it was a pitbull. Immediately comments from the media rushed into his mind retaining to the breed.

Monster. Killer. Vicious. Terror.

Sherlock let out a small huff, chasing the thoughts out of his mind. What the hell did the media know?

The puppy whined and twisted, nibbling on his knuckle. Sherlock let out a small chuckle and pressed the shivering dog tightly onto his chest, tucking it into his coat.

"Some killer you are," he mumbled. The dog immediately buried itself into his warmth and Sherlock couldn't help but smile. "Let's get you somewhere warm."

As they walked to 221B Sherlock considered how much trouble he would be in when he got home. Mrs. Hudson would certainly not be pleased, especially at the concept of a pitbull in her flat. No doubt brainwashed by the media, Sherlock thought with a sigh.