To Be Human

Sherlock Holmes stomped through the rain, sheltering an object under his coat. A string of colorful curses flew from his mouth as Sherlock flew up to 221B, panting heavily as he slammed the door shut behind him and grumbled to himself. Mrs. Hudson appeared in the hallway, tutting disapprovingly.

"Now Sherlock, the floors are all muddy," she frowned. Sherlock shot her daggers, uncovering the heart shaped box from under his coat and thoroughly examining it.

"It's 1:26 in the afternoon; in fourteen minutes you will go about with your weekly cleaning routine anyway," he looked up at her, frowning, "now where is she?"

Mrs. Hudson sighed and shrugged, "upstairs. Good luck with that one Sherlock. She didn't seem happy."

Sherlock rolled his eyes and groaned. "I didn't bloody mean to," he cried as he marched up the stairs, Mrs. Hudson watching him with an eyebrow raised and her arms crossed over her chest.

When Sherlock got up to the flat he blinked. The blinds were closed and the only light was the light that emitted from the fireplace. The only sound was the crackling logs and the rain berating against the windows. Sherlock took a deep breath, his eyes doing a sweep of the flat.

He spotted Molly on the couch, laying on her back with her legs crossed, eyes closed, and... hands steepled under her chin? Sherlock raised an eyebrow, creeping over to the couch and standing over Molly with his hands on his hips.

"What are you doing?" Sherlock asked.

"Shhhh," Molly hushed, not opening her eyes. "Do not disturb my oh so important thought process."

Sherlock raised an eyebrow, "Molly what-"

"Did you not hear me the first time? I am great and powerful and must sink into my mind palace and not be disturbed by anyone or anything no matter their importance to me."

Sherlock sighed in exasperation, "mind palace? Molly please I said I was sorry. I swear it was an accident-"

"Hush you incompetent fool. Mind. Palace." Sherlock shook his head and let out an abrupt laugh.

"I see what you're doing. You're mimicking me," he nodded solemnly then paused, thinking. "Wait I don't really sound like that do I?"

"I'm not going to say it again. I must go about undisturbed in my mind palace, accompanied by only myself and the infinite expanse of my knowledge."

Sherlock blinked, frowning, "oh c'mon I'm not that bad-"

"I'm dancing through the palace, guarded by knights in shining armor and dragons and- oh look!- there's a black two sugars moat would you look at that-"

Sherlock huffed in exasperation and sprang on top of the couch, sitting on Molly and hovering over her with his eyes narrowed and mouth curled up in a snarl. Molly's eyes flickered open in surprise and her eyebrows shot up. The dim lighting let long shadows stretch over Sherlock's face and made his eyes eerily dark. They were like this for a moment, emerged in silence.

"You look really creepy right now," Molly finally whispered. Sherlock let out a groan and fell on top of Molly, burying his face in her neck. She let out a small yelp but let out a shaky breath, watching Sherlock with an eyebrow raised.

"I'm so sorry Molly I didn't mean to forget Valentine's Day and I didn't mean to offend and degrade you but I was frustrated and angry so I took it out on you and I shouldn't have and I'm such a bad boyfriend and... and..."

"Oh Sherlock," Molly said, shaking her head, "it's okay. I forgive you," she said with a small smile, running her hands through his hair softly. Sherlock lifted his head, his eyebrows knit together and eyes wide.

"Really?" He whimpered. Molly tried not to giggle at his puppy dog facial features and rolled her eyes.

"Yes, silly. Even the great Sherlock Holmes is human. You make mistakes too," she said softly, putting her hands on his cheeks. Sherlock paused, tilting his head to the side to consider this. Finally he scrunched his nose.

"I don't like being human," he grumbled. Molly smiled and shrugged.

"Well it's not all that bad."

"How so?"

"I mean, I've got you." Sherlock blinked but then smiled. He ran his hands over her cheeks and let out a shaky breath.

"Yes I suppose that's right," he fell back onto Molly, taking in her warmth and listening to her heartbeat. "Please stay human with me," he whispered, "you're the only thing that keeps me tethered to this world sometimes, Molly Hooper."

Molly grinned, kissing Sherlock on the head. "Alright Sherlock," she whispered back, "I'll stay human with you."