The Meaning of a Ring

Recommended by reggiegurl66 .  By the way guys, with summer ending and school starting soon I might be updating a bit less like once a week like I've been doing (sorry about that btw).  Anyway here's a long one so take your time and enjoy!

~~~

"Anything good," John Watson asked his roommate, who was hurriedly flipping through his phone for any sign of a case.  His roommate, Sherlock Holmes, a tall, lithe man with wild hair didn't answer, instead frowning at his phone.  John blinked, shrugging and looking back at his newspaper, idly taking a sip from his tea.

"I'll take that as a no."

Sherlock suddenly stood, his face tilted towards the door.  "Somebody's here," he said with a smile.

John blinked, "you can tell?  You must be really bored-"

"Size eight foot, roughly 137 pounds and five foot three based on the weight of the step," John watched with wide eyes and an eyebrow raised as Sherlock rambled, "so that means our guest is..."

He smiled and turned around as the door opened, "Molly Hooper."

The brünett girl nodded to the detective, her eyes narrowed.  John shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"Show off," he muttered under his breath, turning to Molly, "do you have anything for us, Molly?  This one's been driving me crazy."

Sherlock raised an eyebrow at the doctor, shrugging.  "No, Miss Hooper does not bring a case," he said, "she wants something."  Molly tilted her chin up as John shifted in his seat.

"He's right," she said, clearing her throat, "I- uh.  John, do you mind if..." Molly trailed off and John blinked, suddenly standing up.

"Oh yeah," he said with an eyebrow raised, "no problem, I'll just be on my-"

"No, wait," Molly shook her head, her eyes closed, "it's alright just sit back down.  I need to do this now or else I'll lose my courage."  John slowly sat back down as Molly grabbed an object from her pocket, Sherlock watching her with his eyebrows raised.

Molly took a deep breath, turning to the raven haired detective, "Sherlock Holmes," she announced, tossing a small object to him.  The detective caught it and a bewildered look flashed across his face as Molly continued, "I am requesting a divorce!"

John's tea cup nearly shattered to the ground.

••• Six Years Earlier •••

Sherlock Holmes sprinted through the crowded streets of London, panting as he set his sights on a black taxi that wound past the other cars.  He growled, using his last burst of energy to push himself forward as the car took a turn, stopping abruptly when he discovered it had disappeared amongst the throng of traffic.  He narrowed his eyes, letting out a frustrated huff as the cars behind him honked mercilessly.

Sherlock frowned as he sipped coffee, still panting from his chase and his walk back to the morgue.  Molly Hooper scribbled in paperwork across the table from him, idly humming to herself.

"Can you please stop that," Sherlock snapped, his eyebrows furrowed.  Molly blinked, her humming stopping abruptly.

She returned to filling in the paperwork when she stopped, looking at Sherlock with narrowed eyes.

"Do you need something?  Because it sounds to me like you just came into the morgue for coffee and to bother me while I'm trying to work."  Sherlock didn't say anything, just grumbled under his breath and took a another sip of coffee.  Molly rolled her eyes, returning back to her paperwork when Sherlock suddenly slammed the coffee on the table, standing abruptly.