Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Something soft was beneath me and something warm above. Everything was dark and I didn’t find it abnormal. I was merely between conscious and not, yet to wake up and not fully asleep. I could hear voices, their sound getting louder by passing moments as if silence was slowly fading away, retreating like mist.

“He was not alone. Aislinn was there, too. She could have been possessed instead.” A voice said. The tone was low and husky, a male.

“But Aislinn has never stepped outside the castle ever since she came here.” Another voice said. This time the tone was feminine. I recognized the voice as Briana’s. She was arguing with Seth.

“Besides, Red can’t possess her. Her soul is not innocent, you know, its dirty.” A scratchy voice. Cassia. She was in the same room with me, while I lay vulnerable.

I started struggling, fighting for consciousness.

"What does it matter if her soul is innocent or dirty since none of us are innocent, anyway. Besides, it doesn’t matter who was possessed either because someone died and we couldn’t save him.” Said Kara in a low voice.

Wake up, Carter. I tried to pry my eyelids apart but they seemed to be glued together.

“He iz dead, Blake iz dead. Dat bitch did it, she did it. She waz ready to kill me dat day.” The person spoke as if swallowing back a sob. But my pity didn’t get a chance to surface when I realized it was Nate. Suddenly, the bruises around my wrists started burning. That did it. My panic burned through my veins and my eyes slid open, a scream lodged in my throat, unable to escape. I choked on it and strangled voices escaped my mouth.

My eyes watered as they tried to focus themselves. The gray ceiling was familiar but not the same I was so used to staring.

“The princess is awake, go fawn over her.” Cassia muttered. I slid my legs down the side of bed and sat up, immediately perusing the room. I was still in Jules and Seth’s room where walls were colored like a rainbow but destroyed with angry strokes of black paint. There were Briana, Yvaine and Kara standing close, Seth pacing, Cassia on a chair with her legs propped against the edge of the other bed where Cardin sat stiff, Julian lay asleep on that bed and Nate leaned against a wall.

“What the – what are you all doing here?” I asked as I rubbed my forehead. A hand rested on my shoulder. I whipped my head around to see Aisha sitting on the edge of the bed I sat on.

“Are you alright?” Briana asked, she, Yvaine and Kara looked at me. Seth stopped pacing and looked at us, too. “What was last thing you saw before you fainted?” He asked.

Kara gave him a warning look, but Seth ignored her. “The last thing...” The only thing I could remember was two burning moons with a cross in the middle. But when my gaze went to Julian, I knew he was there too. I still felt slow and heavy from my sleep.

“Stop it! Stop all dis drama!” Nate said as he stalked towards me. “It’z obvious she killed Blake.” Blake, Nate’s druggie side-kick. Nate grabbed the sleeves of my gray tank and hauled me up. Putting pressure on my shoulders, he pushed me against the wall. What was with him and backing me? “Ya killed him!” He shouted in my face before he punched me. My eyes widened as I gasped at the pain. When I faced him back, he was already being pulled back by Seth and Aisha. My head tilted as I felt something warm against my lip. I touched it with a finger and when I pulled back, it was covered in red. Blood. I frowned at it.

I looked back at Nate, who was struggling against Seth, Aisha and, now, Cardin, too. “I’m gonna kill ya! No, I’m gonna torture ya an' ya would beg me to kill ya! Ya bitch!” He spat.