Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I woke up on my bed with the worst hangover ever. “Ugh…” I said as I propped myself up on one elbow and held my head in the other hand. Two soft hands pushed me back down, “Sweetie, you need to rest.” I wanted to resist but I wasn’t feeling strong enough so I slumped back. Besides, this bout of affection seemed warming. For right now, my defenses were down and I liked the fact that someone cared for me.

“Wa-water.” I whispered as my throat felt as if rubbed down with sandpaper. An arm held me up from the base of my neck. Another hand held a glass to my lips. I finally opened my eyes to see Briana holding the glass of water. Jules held me up and Seth was standing behind Briana. Cassia was lounging on the other bed, a knowing expression on her face. Except her, everybody else had worry written all over their faces. I parted my lips as Briana tipped the glass. Warm fluid filled my mouth and flowed down my dry throat. I sputtered some water out as Jules laid me down. At last, my throat felt better.

“What happened?” I croaked, my voice still a little hoarse.

“You don’t remember?” Briana asked. She looked at Jules and so did I.

He let out a breath. “Mel was murdered in the gym, and shortly after you fainted.”

“What!” I exclaimed as I tried to sit up. Briana pushed me back down. “Calm down” She said sternly.

“How?” I asked. Jules was hesitant before he answered. “No idea. A second she was alright and the next she was on the ground with a cut across her neck. Since no one was near her, some are thinking she was shot. Others believe it was a knife or blade or something thrown at her.”

“Now what? Is police here?”

“Yes, they are investigating the matter right now. More guards posted at the gates. They are also right now checking rooms for weapons. I can’t believe they suspect one of us will kill her.” Jules looked exasperated.

“That reminds me, someone has to be in our room, Jules. I’ll go. Briana?” Seth held out a hand. Briana looked at me and I nodded. She took Seth’s hand and they left the room. Gosh, are these the same people I had refused to call them friends. To keep my guilt at minimum level, I stared back at Cassia. Her I-was-right expression was wearing the hell out of me. Well, better than guilt.

“Where’s Aisha?” I suddenly asked. That 15 year old was really worrying me. And making me worry is a big thing.

“She is friends with one of Mel’s, so she’s with her.” Jules replied.

“She didn’t seem happy about it though.” Cassia added.

“I can understand.” I couldn’t help but agree though that doesn’t mean Cassia and me were making up or something. But it is one of the reasons why I don’t like making friends. Make one and like some infectious disease you are suddenly having half-friends, friends of friends, friend’s best friend, friend’s group and some other friend stuff you rather puke on. It’s like a freaking food chain of sororities.

“Not all of TOSD’s are murderers. Sometimes these things are tough on them.” Jules countered.

“Taking somebody’s life doesn’t make one impervious to death, Julian. Don’t just get into assumptions.” I sounded exasperated.

“Yet it was so easy for you to assume that I’m a man-whore and say it on my face.”

I groaned. “Really? You want to talk about it now?” Jules nodded. “Was I wrong then, Julian? Do you not sleep around a lot?”

“I’m entitled to not answer your question.” Jules replied sternly.

“Then I think this conversation is finished.”

“Whatever.”

“I hope you didn’t carry me.”

“I actually did. No need to thank me, I know you’re grateful. Just one thing – ever thought of dieting?”

“Last time I checked you thought I was as light as a feather.”

“I was sleepy then, I may have used the wrong word.”

“Then you should be sleepy all the time because-”

Before I could finish, Cassia interrupted, “As much as I love two bickering love-birds, I have more pressing arrangements at the moment. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll take my leave.” Cassia stood up and went away, shutting the door with her.

“We’re not love-birds.” Jules shouted for Cassia to hear. If she’d heard it, she gave no audible response.

“When did she get so, you know, mannered? What did she mean by pressing arrangements?” I air-quoted pressing arrangements.

“She’s trying to get on our nerves. Always doing that. Ignore her.” We both nodded together.

We remained silent for a minute. As I tried to remember what happened in the gym, I realized how much my thoughts weren’t in my control. All those dark thoughts, though in my mind, were not my mine. That, I don’t know why, almost made me feel dirty. I’d called Mel’s death a work of art, I was almost like Cassia in that respect. But the most important question is what happened to me? I don’t know and I don’t want to. Because that feeling, I don’t want it to ever happen again. But really why it happened right at the moment Mel was murdered?

“What happened to you?” Jules broke through my thoughts as if he heard them himself.

“I have no idea.”

“And your eyes?” Jules though confused, did look curious as well.

“What about my eyes?”

“Your pupils were constricted to slits like a cat’s. You know, this is isn’t normal.” Jules was right, that wasn’t normal. But why did that happen? Not to forget, how? For all I know, slit-like eyes aren’t a common human trait.

“I understand. I know I need figure it out. So for the time-being let this be our little secret.” I said, extending my hand which Jules shook with almost business-like approach. Maybe when Mel died, I was just plain sick and that’s why I fainted. Yeah, that could be what have happened. Though that won’t stop the rumors I could foresee, ‘Killer faints at sight of blood’. Totally possible. Hell, I would have started that rumor myself if someone else had fainted.

The door slammed open and a fuming Seth entered the room. His eyes were shooting daggers at Julian. “Can you explain this?” He asked furiously, tossing something shiny at Julian. Gosh, my reflexes are still wobbly as I couldn’t quite catch the motion. Julian caught the shiny thing expertly with one hand. I zeroed my eyes on the object in his hand. A x-acto knife, I realized. It was not-so shiny up front the thing that caught your eye was the blackish-red substance painting the top part of the blade. My eyes widened. “Is that blood?” I whispered.

Julian ignored me. He was busy staring at the knife with an almost haunted expression, his eyes glazed over in memory. Instead, Seth replied, more like spat, the answer, “Yes. His x-acto knife is covered in dried blood. Got something to add to this, Jules?”

His eyes at last broke it’s stare from the blade and slowly looked up to face Seth, the ghostly expression never leaving his face. “Yes. This isn’t what you think it is. I can explain.” He whispered calmly.

“I don’t need explanations. I need answers. Is this human blood?” Seth moved closer, fury evident in his every step.

Julian’s eyes closed, “Yes, It is human blood.”

*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*.~.*

OMG! You read it to the end! Thanks!

My story reached over a 100 votes! I'm so happy!

BTW the pic on the side is another Jules >>>>

Fact File #2: Aislinn when realised that Jebediah Jones had his eyes on her younger sis, Sierra, she decided to get evidence against Jones herself. The evidence which was in form of secret cameras the perv Jones had installed in and around the church.

So people vote,comment and fan! I appreciate them all.

- Priya