79.) Chicago PD - Family

Continuation of the previous part

"How's Jay doing in therapy?" Hank asked Will, having been worried about the kid.

"I don't know. The therapist says it's an emotional roller coaster. He'll be great one day and suicidal the next. I want to move in with him and keep and eye on him, but our work hours are different and I'd be gone when he's home and vice-versa." Will said, also very worried about his brother.

"What if I make him move in with me?" Hank suggested.

"You'd really do that?"

"Like I told Jay, he was basically my son-in-law before Erin left. He's family and he's all I have left. So yeah, I'd do anything to keep him safe."

"Alright. Go ahead and try. And keep me updated, I'm worried about him."

Hank hung up the phone and looked out of his office, looking at his detective with his head down on his desk.

"Halstead, come here." Hank called, Jay's head perking up before he got up and entered the office.

"Yeah, sarge?"

"Sit down." Hank said, gesturing towards a chair.

Jay sat down, unsure of where this conversation was headed.

"I've talked with Will and, in light of recent events, you're moving in with me." Hank began.

"What?!" Jay yelled, not happy with the idea at all.

"You don't get a say in this. It's for your own good. Nobody wants anything to happen to you, especially me. And this is the only way of making sure of that."

"This is bullshit."

"I don't care. Once your therapist says she sees serious improvement, we'll talk about you living on your own again. But for now, you're with me at all times."

"This is going to suck."

-/-/-/-/

A month later, Jay was still living at Hank's. Hank liked keeping an eye on Jay, but he also liked having someone living with him again. His house had been lonely since Olive and Danny moved away.

As the two sat in the living room watching Ace Ventura, Hank noticed Jay dozing off.

"Go to bed, Jay. You had a long day." He told him, knowing it was 100% true. Jay had had therapy that day and had gotten roughed up by a suspect.

Jay simply nodded and got up, shuffling to the guest room.

An hour later, as Hank was going to his room, he saw the light on in the guest room. He carefully opened the door, thinking he'd fallen asleep before turning it off, but saw Jay sitting up in bed, breathing heavy.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Just a nightmare. I'm okay."

"Okay." He nodded. After a moment of silence, he spoke again. "Your therapist told me you're making improvement. I think you'll be able to move back home soon."

Jay nodded. "Hey, uh, thanks for this. I know I was resistant at first, but you're really helping me out."

"You're family, I'd do anything for you, kid. Even if it means moving your scrawny-ass in with me." Hank joked.