72.) Chicago PD - Ladder

"Are you sure you want to do this? We can just wait for Olinsky to bring our ladder back." Kim asked Adam, who insisted that he could hang Christmas lights from their roof without a ladder.

"Kim, baby, I can do this. This is Jack's first Christmas and I'm going to make it great." Adam explained again, gesturing towards the sleeping 9-month-old in Kim's arms.

"Yeah, but do you have to do it right now? Al is coming over for dinner tonight, anyway. He can bring the ladder then."

"Kim, it'll be dark then."

"Then do the lights tomorrow."

"Darling, I'm doing this right now, while it's not snowing and I'm not working and it's light outside. I'll be just fine, don't worry."

Kim sighed. "Okay, I'm trusting you. But I swear to God, if you fall..."

"I won't fall."

"Famous last words. I'm going to go put Jack in his crib. Be careful."

Adam nodded and carefully began to climb out the window and onto the roof with the light strands in his hand. He began to connect the lights to the roof, carefully moving along the perimeter of the roof until he was finished.

Once he was done, he smiled, proud of himself. "And she said I needed a ladder for this." He chuckled, beginning to stand up to get off the roof. Then he lost his footing and slid off the roof and onto the icy cement below, knocking himself unconscious.

Inside, Kim had finished preparing dinner and had it in the oven when she went to go get Jack from his crib. On her way to his nursery, she saw Adam finishing putting the lights up. "Unbelievable." She chuckled, "I'll never hear the end of this one."

She went and picked up Jack, who was laughing in his crib as he played with his stuffed dinosaur. "Hey, little baby. You wanna go outside and see what Daddy did for you?"

Kim put Jack's red coat and boots on him and carried him outside to see the work Adam had done. It wasn't until she got outside did she see Adam lying unconscious on the cement with blood pooling around his head.

"Adam!!" She yelled, kneeling beside him with Jack squirming in her arms. "Oh my god, Adam." She said, pulling out her cell phone and dialing 9-1-1.

"Hello, 911, what is your emergency?"

"My husband fell off the roof hanging Christmas lights and he's unconscious and bleeding from his head. I need an ambulance to 1653 Flueger Drive."

"Hang tight, ma'am, help is on the way."

"Thank you."

Kim hung up and waited for the ambulance to show up. When it finally did, Gabby and Sylvie hurried to them. "What happened?" Sylvie asked, putting a c-collar on Adam.

"He insisted on putting up the lights without a ladder. He fell off the damn roof."

"Okay, we're going to get him to Med." Gabby said as they got Adam onto the stretcher.

-/-/-/

"He's okay. He's got a nasty concussion and stitches in his head, but thankfully, there was no brain bleed or damage. Aside from some nasty bruises on his back, he'll make a full recovery." Dr. Halstead informed Kim, who'd been waiting with Jack in the waiting room for an hour.

"Really? He's okay?"

"Yes, he's fine. You can go see him, he's in room 3."

Kim took Jack and hurried to see her husband, who was awake and in pain.

"You okay, babe?" Kim asked, brushing Adam's hair out of his face.

"I think I needed that ladder." He chuckled.

Then Al walked in and looked at Adam. "I was bringing the ladder tonight."

"I'm not a patient man."

"I've noticed."