71.) Chicago Fire - Meningitis

"Hey Captain." Kelly said, sticking his head in Matt's office, seeing the lights off and Matt on his bed with a blanket covering him. "Sorry, didn't mean to wake you up, just wanted to see if you were going to come out and eat. Herrmann lost a bet and bought barbecue for everyone."

"No, I'm not hungry. I'm pretty sure if I eat I'll throw up."

"You okay?"

"I'll be fine, just let me sleep."

"Okay." Kelly said, walking out of the office, going to find Gabby. When he found her, he stopped her, "You need to go check on your husband."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"He's sick or something, I don't know."

"Alright, thanks for the heads-up." She said, going to her husband's office. She walked in and turned on the light, hearing Matt groan.

"You okay? Severide said you were sick." Gabby said, sitting on the bed next to him.

"Can you turn the light off? It hurts." He said, covering his eyes with the blanket. Gabby flicked the light switch off and instead turned on the less-harsh desk lamp.

She returned to her spot and laid her hand on his forehead. "Baby, you're burning up."

"I'm actually freezing." He disagreed, pulling the blanket up higher.

"Do you feel nauseous at all?"

"Yeah. And my neck and head hurt." He said tiredly.

Gabby sighed, thinking of all the different things that could be the cause of his pain as she began to massage his neck gently. As she did so, she felt his pulse going through the roof.

"Why is your pulse so fast? You're breathing fast, too. I don't like theses symptoms. This looks like Meningitis."

"I'm okay, just let me sleep it off."

"No, you're going to Med. I'm going to go tell Chief."

"Don't, I'm fine, Gabby."

Gabby ignored him and went to Boden's office, seeing him talking to Brett. "Good, both the people I need to talk to." She said, walking in. "Matt's sick."

"How sick?" Boden asked.

"I think it's meningitis. Can we take him to Med?"

"Yeah, go. You can stay with him and I'll get a replacement for the rest of shift." Chief told Gabby as the two hurried out to grab the stretcher.

They went into Matt's office and he hadn't moved. "Alright, baby, come on." Gabby said, her and Sylvie carefully pulling him up and onto the stretcher.

Matt didn't protest anymore, the pain convincing him that Gabby was right and he needed to go to Med after all.

Soon Matt was in a hospital bed as Ethan Choi asked him some questions and took his vitals. "Well, Gabby, you might be right about meningitis. Unfortunately for you, Matt, I'll have to do a spinal tap to check."

Matt sighed. "Go ahead. My back hurts already, can't get much worse."

Ethan nodded and prepared for the tap, he and Gabby helping Matt onto his side. Ethan cleaned Matt's back while Gabby sat beside him, stroking his sweat-soaked hair.

"Alright, ready?" Ethan asked, Matt nodding slightly in response. Ethan inserted the needle, making Matt cry out softly.

Once it was over, Ethan took the test to the lab, leaving Matt and Gabby alone for awhile. During this time, Gabby informed Antonio of what was going on and Matt fell asleep. Awhile later, Dr. Choi returned.

"It's meningitis. I'll start him on the medicine and keep him overnight." He told Gabby as Matt continued sleeping.

"Thanks, Ethan. I don't know what to do with this one. If he isn't getting hurt, he's getting sick."

"Yeah, Severide says he has 9 lives, but I'm thinking it's more like 900."