39.) Chicago Fire - Request

Requested by: CaitlinTerry3

GABBY'S POV

I woke up and immediately wanted to go back to sleep; everything ached and I felt like absolute shit.

I pulled the blankets over my head and curled up, trying to reenter dreamland where I felt just fine. That didn't work, of course, because Matt's alarm went off the second I fell asleep.

He woke up put his arm around me, immediately pulling away once he felt how hot I was.

"Gabby, you feel really hot. You feeling okay?" He asked, already out of bed and crouched down beside me.

"No." I answered, "Everything aches, my head hurts, my throat hurts, and I feel nauseous."

"Okay, I'm going to call Chief and call off for both of us this shift."

"No, just call me off. You can go, I'll be fine." I assured him.

"Gabby, I'm not leaving you alone for 24 hours like this."

"Matt, come on, it's just a flu. Don't freak out. Go to work, babe."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, go."

I fell back asleep and woke up a few hours later feeling worse than I'd ever imagined possible. I rolled over and saw a bottle of water, medicine, and some crackers that Matt had set out for me.

I sat up to take a drink of water but was immediately hit with more dizziness. My phone buzzed with a text from Matt, but I was too dizzy to respond.

He tried calling, but I still couldn't answer. I felt like I was going to pass out.

MATT'S POV

I had an awful feeling. Gabby wasn't answering. Sure, she could be sleeping, but it just didn't feel right. I told Chief what was up and he gave me permission to go check on her.

I told Herrmann he was acting Lieutenant until I returned and hurried home. When I got there, I found Gabby sitting up in bed with her head in her hands and tears on her face.

"Baby, what's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked, rushing to her side.

"No, I-I feel so dizzy and think I'm going to pass out." She told me pressing her head in my shoulder as I held her close.

"It's okay, I'm going call for an ambo and get you to Med." I told her as I dialed 9-1-1.

A few hours later, I was sitting in Med beside Gabby as she slept in a hospital bed. I felt so bad for her. Will Halstead said it was just a nasty flu, but I'd give anything to switch places with her.

She woke up slowly and looked at me. "Hi babe."

"Hey honey. You feeling okay? You need me to get anything for you?" I asked.

"No, I'm alright with you by my side." She smiled. I knew she'd be okay soon, but for now, I was happy to be there for her while she was down.