We walk out the apartment and then out the building, into the busy streets of New York.

    I hug my jacket tighter to me, as I'm hit with the cold winter weather.

   Since Drew has her own car we're able to ride to our destination.

    We make our way to her old pickup truck, waiting for her to open it. Once it's open I let Amber hop in the back, and I slide in by Drew.

   " Where to ladies?" Drew says. She turns on the car and begins driving.

    " Let's go get some soul food from Ruby's." I say rubbing my stomach , almost salivating at the thought of the food.

    Greens. Fried Chicken. Lemon cake. Baked Macaroni. Cornbread. Allat. Mmph.

   They both nod their head at my request.

   Since it's New York we get stuck in a traffic jam, upsetting our awaiting stomachs even more.

   The radio plays as we wait, as a silence ensues us, the sound of New York seeping in every once in awhile.

   "Yooo... I forgot to tell y'all. It's this party happening on Saturday ,over at Thompson University. We should definitely roll through." Drew says excitedly, looking over at us, awaiting a response.

I cringe at the thought of a party. There's always bullshit, and I know that people from our school is gonna be there. Eww.

" Uhh...I don't know. I don't have time for the bullshit." I say, truthfully.

"Stop being a wuss. You passing up on a party Nokia?"

"Free liquor, plenty of pussy, and a good time. What's up?" Drew pointedly says.

I think about she says and instantly get persuaded. Who could pass up on that shit, anyway?

"Ok I'm down." I say shrugging my shoulder.

We both look back at Amber, who has her headphone on. Typical Amber.

"How about you Amber?", Drew says ,trying to get her attention.

" You already knowwww..." Amber says, making her big, picked out fro sway.

" Well let's get down with the shits then." Drew says, jigging.

* * * * *

   " How can I help you guys?" A short, black lady with a bun comes up to us. She has on a pinstriped baby blue and white, diner outfit.

   I decide to speak first.  "Can I have the meatloaf meal with macaroni, greens, and dressing? Oh and a side of lemon cake?" I say looking at the menu.

   She writes it down on her little notepad.

"How about you honey?" , she says to Amber.

"Umm... the fried chicken, cabbage, and yams." Amber says, and then puts in her headphones again.

  Drew then orders, and then the waiter asks our drink.

" I'll have you guys drinks shortly. And after that you guys food." She says smiling cheekily, and then walking off.

  " How has your brother been, Nokia?" Drew asks.

  I think about her question. " You know, same ol same ol. Shit never changes with Melissa." I say looking down.

   "Yeah I feel you. But it's almost over Nokia. He almost out that place." She says, patting my shoulder. I just nod at her.

   Just as it begins to get silent the waiter comes with our drinks.

  " Your food will be out in a bit ladies." The waitress says.

   " How's your art been?",  I say to Drew.

   " We have a showcase in a couple weeks. I got a couple pieces I want to show off." She says as she sips on her drink.

   " Ok...I'll be there. I support you to the fullest sis." I smile at her.

   She smiled over at me, and I smile back.

   I support Drew art to the fullest. She makes dope urban art and is self taught. I could truly see her pieces being around , and in New York's art exhibits.  She's that good.

  " Thanx Nokie. Same for your poetry. One of these days, we need to hit up a place where you can do spoken word."

    " On my liiiife, we do." I agree, getting excited.

   Sharing my poetry with other people would mean the world to me. It's my gift, and I'm not afraid to share it with others.

  The lady comes out with our food and we begin to dig in.

    I marinate in the taste of the leafy greens. Pure goodness.

   I then bite into my meatloaf. I'm hit with the taste of fine tomato sauce and juicy, meat.

   This place food is amazing.

   " This shit smack...", Amber says loudly, with food in her mouth.

    "Fuck yes it does," Drew says smacking her fork on the table.

    Other customers look over at our table, as if to scold us at our loudness.

   I shh Drew and Amber, but laugh at their excitement.

    We continue to eat, before I decide to talk to Amber. She's always so silent, and sometimes I feel like we leave her out, but I know that just how she is.

    But I still push her to be more social.

  "Sooo...Amber how's it been, at the club?" I ask.

   Amber djs at a club, and shares music she's remixed with people, and even her own tracks. Amber is also mad talented.

  " It been good. I shared a new track over the weekend , and got good feedback. And I also met this shorty." Amber says shimmying her shoulders.

    " That's what's up. And who's this new shorty?" I ask, amused.

    " I met her at the club. Her name Mya. She nice on the eyes, and got a body like whaaa..."  Amber motions with her hands.

"She's a brick, houuuuse...", Drew sings as she dances.

"Ayyy", I egg her on. We then all laugh.

" Nah but forreal shorty booty bigger than my fro, and she got some titties on her, man. I'm tryna suck like a baby." Amber says looking serious as hell.

I start dying. Literally. I double over in laughter as Drew starts banging on the table, hooting and hollering.

I could just imagine how many looks we was getting now.

"Yooo...let's go before these people kick us out." I say straightening up.

" Maaan, I'm too full to play ball. Y'all tryna light one?" Drew asks, making a face.

" Yeah I'm down" Amber says. They look at me for my confirmation.

"Who got the gas?" I say.

" I got some in the car." Drew sings.

" Then let's go hotbox."

Hey, how y'all doin? I'm on a roll, I just wrote two chaps in one day. Ayyy. And that rhymes. Yooo. Not edited though. 🙃🕺🏿

But, what do y'all think? Did y'all like?

I'm gonna speed time up in the story to where it's the night of the party. Let's get into it.

I might update again tonight. Idk. Vote, comment. Love y'all. -Arieaja ❤️🌚