41. Please

When Sarah woke up from her nap, it was already night time. It surprised her how much she had slept given the circumstances, but her encounter with Sheikh Mohammed had left her both physically and emotionally drained and sleeping was a good way to forget about everything for a while. She checked the time on her phone and found a new message.

Hamdan
Came home but you are asleep. I'll be at the terrace.

She freshened up in the bathroom and went to meet him, entirely torn between what she had to say and wanting to hug him like she had never hugged him before. The door to the terrace was half-opened and his voice started to fade in as she got closer. She saw him talking to his phone as if it was on speaker mode, but he was not talking, he was reciting a poem, probably recording it. She only got to hear the last verses before he was finished. Without him noticing her presence, Sarah walked out.

"That's beautiful," she said.

"Hi," he beamed, looking pleasantly surprised.

"Hi," she encircled her arms around his waist and held tight, letting the side of her face rest on his chest.

He kissed the top or her head while his hand stroked her back.

"Who was that about?" She asked, listening to his heartbeat.

"This girl I like."

She chuckled and looked up at him. "You wrote a poem for me?"

"I've written several poems about you," Hamdan admitted.

"How come I've never heard any of them?" She protested, taking a step back.

"Well, now you can," he eased, scrolling on his phone.

"No!" She exclaimed, pushing the device down. "I want to hear it from you."

"Fine," He held her hand and walked her to the edge of the terrace.

The full moon was shining over the beautiful Dubai skyline as she rested her hands on the rail. He stood behind her and placed his hands on top of hers.

"Close your eyes," Hamdan instructed.

She looked over her shoulder. "Why?"

He tilted back. "Do you want to hear it or not?"

"Okay," she replied, bugged-eyed.

Sarah closed her eyes while he brushed her hair over the left shoulder and she felt his beard on the right side of her face. He started reciting the verses and his deep voice swaddled her up like a shooting Summer breeze.

Who loves you the same as me?
Who tries to love you the same as me?
No, there is not anyone barring me.
You are my eyes' light
And you are my life and my pleasure.
You are the body of my essence
And the essence of my body.
You are my eye, my ray and my splendor
And you are my fire if my love has stagnated.
You are my time, my sleepiness, my trouble and my patience.
You are my comfort, my breath and my dear.
And you are the first love,
There is no one before you
And there is no one after you.
The love gathers us and if you are,
Be near, I will not be too far.

Small shivers went up and down her spine with every verse. When he was done, she leaned back against him and his arms surrounded her.

He kissed the side of her head. "Do you like it?"

"That is the most amazingly beautiful thing you have ever done for me, Hamdan."

"Have you thought about what I said?" He asked.