40. Mask

It was time. Sarah's appointment with the doctor went well and as expected, she was out of the splint and he gave her the okay to slowly resume back riding. She had given Hamdan all the time she could, but once she started training again there was no way she could stay with him any longer. With the stables so close by, she could easily be seen coming in or out of his home, and it was not as if she could go training in one of Hamdan's cars without raising too many questions. He was not thinking clearly, pretending it was possible for her to stay. Hamdan kept dropping hints — some of them not subtle at all — about how bad he wanted things to move forward and even though she was more confident on their relationship after meeting his siblings and spending all that time together, she had finally reached a point of comfort and did not want things to change for the time being, but simply enjoy their love without worrying too much about what the future might hold for them.

It was strange to be dreading the moment when he came home, she had already packed her bags and was going to talk with him that night and leave the next morning. Walking around the gardens, barefoot in a solid blue maxi dress, she was rehearsing in her mind what she was going to tell Hamdan and what his possible reactions would be. In the meantime, Rooster ran around sniffing, chasing birds and peeing on the flowers.

She was lost in her thoughts when sudden moves from the guards caught her attention. They were speaking on the radios and running towards the driveway in front of the gate that was slowly being opened. It was too early for Hamdan to be back, unless he wanted to surprise her but the guards never hurried the way they were doing it when Hamdan arrived. They made two lines flanking the cars coming in and gave the military salute. Her heart was beating fast, not knowing if she should hide in the bushes. Hurried steps were coming from behind, she looked around and it was Ismail, looking flustered and out of breath.

"What's happening?" She inquired.

"Sheikh Mohammed is here to see you, miss." Ismail panted.

The weight of the world fell on her shoulders. "What? Tha— that's not possible!" She stuttered, almost laughing in disbelief.

"He asked for you at the gate," he assured her.

The sound of car doors opening made her turn her head. The white G Class and the black one that followed, came to a stop right across from where she was standing. Sheikh Mohammed got out of the passenger side of the first one, wearing a cream colored kandura and white keffiyeh. Several other men in traditional clothes accompanied him but they remained standing by the cars, not following Sheikh Mohammed, who started walking in her direction.

Her heart was on her throat and as scared as she was, the surreal moment kept her from taking her eyes away from the emir of Dubai and vice-president of the country approaching her.

"Miss Anderson," he smiled.

She cleared her throat when she felt words were choking down. "Your highness."

"Could I steal some of your time?" He asked, holding his hands together in front of him.

"Of course," she arranged the straps of her dress, feeling not enough covered to be in his presence.

Sheikh Mohammed looked around and then pointed with his hand at a bench under the shade of a tree. "Shall we sit?"

Sarah nodded and headed to the bench. Taking a seat, she rubbed her palms on the fabric over her thighs to dry the moisture.

Where is Hamdan?

Was all she could think about, he could not possibly know his father was there.

Sheikh Mohammed sat comfortably on the other end of the bench, his arm extended over the back rest. "I've heard you've been staying here for a while and even got to meet some of my children."