27. Unless

"Hey!" Erin greeted, looking surprised when she opened the door to her apartment.

"Is there room for us in your Valentine's celebration?" Sarah wondered with a fake smile plastered on her face.

"Sure, come in!"

Erin patted Rooster on his way in. After spending hours at the beach, he was too tired to jump on her as he would normally do. He just plopped on the white carpet in the living room. Sarah's Labrador blended perfectly with Erin's monochromatic black and white decoration in the minimalistic apartment.

"Are you okay?" Erin asked with furrowed brows.

"Define okay..." Sarah sighed. "I'm breathing."

Erin gasped. "Oh my god! Did Nate show up again? Because if he did—"

"He didn't," Sarah cut her off.

Nate had fallen into Tom and Erin's blacklist after Sarah told them what happened at brunch the day after the wedding. Of course she had to modify the end of the story for Erin, there were no armed men in the version she gave them. On the way to the airport, Tom heard the true version of the events.

"Oh," she said, relieved. "How's your arm?"

"Green."

"Yikes..." Erin grimaced. "So, what happened?"

Sarah let herself fall onto one of the couches. "Have you opened the rosé yet?"

A bottle of wine and a few episodes of Sex & The City later, Sarah was finally done taking her friend through the roller coaster of emotions that was her story with Hamdan, all the way until the events of that morning. They were sitting on opposite sides of the couch in front of the flat screen T. V., facing each other with a wine glass in their hands.

"Shit, Sarah. That's Sheikh Mohammed!" Erin warned, clasping a palm on her forehead.

"I know... and he hates me," Sarah concluded.

"Oh no, he doesn't hate you. He could've done much worse things. Actually, I'm not sure there's any validation to you being fired."

"I don't think it matters."

"It does! Those stables are not his. I feel that what he did was more like... a message."

Sarah pushed her hair back away from her face. "Stay away from my son."

Erin nodded. "But what did Hamdan say?"

"Nothing, my phone is off."

"Why?" Erin asked with wide open eyes.

"Because I need to think! And I can't do that when he's around," Sarah covered her eyes with her hand briefly.

Erin put her glass down on the coffee table and hugged her. "I'm so sorry this is happening. You don't deserve it," her friend comforted.

Sarah tried to smile at Erin's gesture as she returned to her spot.

"Maybe I do deserve it... What was I thinking? I wasn't! See? That's what happens to me when I'm with him, that's why I can't see him right now," her eyes felt on the glass of wine in her hand.

"Well, the real question is: what is Hamdan to you? Because that's what's going to determine your actions. I mean, is he worth it? Is he your Mr. Big?" Erin asked, pointing at the screen with her glass.

The flat screen was showing a scene of Carrie and Big breaking up for the tenth time.

"Oh, great..." Sarah complained.