52. Habibti

Promise this, if I die before I wake up
Promise this, take the time to say your grace.
On your knees you'll pray for me
Promise this, be the last to kiss my lips...

---

Against every instinct in him, Hamdan eventually left the hospital. He decided to lie down on the backseat of his car and did not speak a word while Saeed drove with Uncle Saeed on the passenger seat.

He received a frantic call from Erin, she and Abby found through Uma, but Hamdan quickly let her know about the visiting restrictions so they would not waste their time stopping by the hospital before Sarah's parents got there. It was when he was talking to Erin that he remembered Tom. The girls had already told him and Hamdan made the call to also offer him a private plane to take him to Dubai as soon as possible.

He dragged himself out of the car, assuring his uncle and bodyguard that they could go to their homes and leave him alone. When he got to his bedroom, he found Rooster on Sarah's side of the bed. The dog barely looked at him and whined. Hamdan's heart clenched and he sat by his side, silently comforting their pet by scratching his head.

He took a shower, pretty much like the one he took back in his boat the day before. It seemed so long ago, but only a day had passed and he and Sarah were granted only a handful of hours to be happy together. He went back to lie next to Rooster and started to scroll through her pictures on his cellphone.

Time kept running at slow pace until the clock showed it was 10:30. He had not eaten since breakfast but was not hungry at all. Her parents would be there in a few hours but he was unsure how to feel about it. How was he supposed to act in front of them? Would they ask if he wanted to see her? What if they did not? How could he ask? And if they did, could he be alone with her? Hamdan knew news about Sarah and him would mostly worry them and he did not want to pile onto their anguish at such difficult times.

He thought about what seemed like his only chance and having so many doubts about what the situation would be later on, he decided to go for it. He changed into jeans and a polo shirt before heading out to the garage, where he opted for the Audi that always picked Sarah up.

His fingers nervously tapping on his leg as the elevator went up to the third floor where the ICU was. The doors opened and a security guard behind a desk lifted his gaze from the newspaper he was reading and examined Hamdan from head to toe. To the left there was an empty waiting area and to the right, an all white corridor leading to other parts of the hospital.

"Good night." Hamdan said as he approached the desk.

The man slowly rose from his seat with eyes fixed on him. "I know who you are... Sheikh Hamdan!" He smiled extending his hand.

"It's very nice to meet you..." Hamdan waited for the man's name.

"Mohammed, sir."

"Mohammed." Hamdan smiled. "See, Mohammed, I was hoping you could help me."

"Anything, sir." The man nodded with eyebrows up on his forehead.

"There's no need for the sir." Hamdan noted. "I need to visit a patient in the ICU."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but visiting hours end at ten."

"I know, it's just that I want to keep a low profile, you know?"

"I understand. In that case I can call doctor Gouher for you." Mohammed suggested. "She's the only one that can help you."

"Please, would you do that?"

Mohammed nodded and picked up the phone. "Doctor Gouher please." He waited for a moment. "Doctor, there's someone here for you." He hanged up the phone and turned to Hamdan. "She's coming."