9. Distant

If it's not like the movies,
That's how it should be, yeah.

When he's the one
I'll come undone
And my world will stop spinning
And it's just the beginning...

---

Later that evening Sarah was a bundle of nerves, she had already burnt her fingers twice while making dinner for her and Nate.

Why am I making lasagna? Oh, hey, here's your favorite food. By the way, I'm breaking up with you.

She stomped her feet on the kitchen floor like a toddler.

Argh! This would be way easier if he was a complete jerk.

She shoved the lasagna in the oven, set the timer on her stove and looked around.

"Salad, ready. Table, ready. Dessert, ready. Wine, he's bringing it," she said to herself. "Okay."

She jumped in the shower, rehearsing in her mind how she was going to do it while the warm water traveled down her body.

So, Nate... Um, we've had a great relationship but I think we should take some time apart. No, no. No time, it has to be definite.

Honesty, I need to be honest. Nate, lately I've been thinking... about... another guy. A lot. And on his eyes... and his smile... and his deep velvety voice...

She was staring into nothing, biting her lower lip while holding the soap in her hands. Then, shook her head snapping out of it and grabbed the shampoo bottle.

Too honest. I can't do that. Do not think of Hamdan, do NOT think about Hamdan while breaking up with your boyfriend. Oh gosh, I suck.

"Ouch!" Shampoo got in her eye. She splashed water on it and continued to rinse her hair.

Ok. Nate, you have been a great boyfriend but I'm not sure about my feelings anymore.

Um, that's a little better.

She walked into her room with a towel wrapped around her body and another one on her head. She put on a pair of blue jeans and a black top and let her hair down to dry. She was putting lipgloss in front of the mirror when the timer made her run back to the kitchen. Turning the oven off, she peeked inside.

"Perfect," she murmured.

Rooster ran to the door when he heard the knock.

Oh God...

Sarah rolled her shoulders back, sighed and headed to the door, smiling as naturally as possible. Nathan had taken his jacket and tie off and was holding a bottle of wine.

"Hey, darl!" He wrapped his arm around her waist and planted a kiss on her lips.

"Hey!"

"Smells great! Lasagna?"

"Um-hum," she replied without opening her lips.

"Awesome!" Nate grinned letting go of her and entering the apartment to pat Rooster who was wagging his tail and going around in circles. "Should I open it?" He asked, holding the wine bottle up.

"Plea--" She choked. "Ahem, please."

Sarah could already feel her heartbeat raising and curled her hands into fists, trying to control the nerves.

He placed the bottle on the kitchen counter and took out the corkscrew from one of the drawers. "Guess what?"

"What?" She replied, taking the two glasses of wine from the table.