21. Coward

Sarah slowly blinked her eyes open and realized that Hamdan's arms were still surrounding her. She looked up at him, his beautiful face relaxed in sleep. She wondered what was happening with him that night, wishing she could see through him like he always did with her.

"Hamdan," she murmured, running her fingers through his thick curls.

He replied with a groan.

"What time is it?" She asked.

He took his phone out from his pocket and squinted his eyes at the glare of the screen.

"1:15," he put the phone down and settled in the same position he was in before.

Sarah felt a growling sound coming from inside her body, she closed her mouth shut and covered with her hand to keep Hamdan from hearing it but it was useless.

"Was that... your stomach?" He asked with eyes closed.

Her body started shaking with laughter.

"That's what happens when you don't eat your dinner," he lectured her in a raspy voice. "Come on," he pushed the blanket off and stood up stretching his arms.

"I wasn't hungry then," she explained, sitting up.

They headed downstairs to the kitchen that reminded Sarah of the kitchen at his home, with stainless steel everything. They stood in front of the opened refrigerator and when she found the cheddar cheese she knew exactly what she wanted to make.

She grabbed it and turned to Hamdan. "You think there's any macaroni in here?"

They checked every shelf in the pantry until he found a package.

"You're going to love this," she assured a few minutes later, stirring the pot of creamy macaroni and cheese bubbling on the stove. "It's my mom's recipe."

Sarah moved the pot onto a prep table and went to look for two bowls, but when she spun around holding them in her hands, Hamdan was already sticking a fork in the macaroni.

"Hamdan! Get a bowl!" She scolded.

He blew on the macaroni on his fork and put it in his mouth.

"Mmm..." His eyes opened like saucers. "This is really good, no bowl needed," he said, offering Sarah another fork.

She ceded and started eating with him straight from the pot with their elbows resting on the table.

"Do you realize this is the second time we end up in a kitchen in the middle of the night?" He asked when they were halfway through the macaroni.

"Maybe it's our—" She tried to stop herself but it was too late. "Thing..." She barely finished.

It was obvious and her heartbeat was picking up wishing she could rephrase what had come out of her mouth. To talk that way about the two of them was something she wasn't sure she should be doing.

Hamdan put his fork down and straightened up. "How long are you going to keep fighting this?"

"I'm not fighting," she denied.

"You freaked out because you said our," his tone accusing.

She wanted to say something but could not think of anything that wasn't a lie.

He walked over and placed himself in front of her. "Sarah?"

She rose up from the table and found herself trapped in between Hamdan's arms with both of his hands holding the table behind her.

"Do you ever think in terms of we? Us? Our?"

"I do," she admitted. "I just did."