47. Fragile

Draw me a smile and save me tonight,
I am a blank page waiting for you to bring me to life.
Paint me a heart, let me be your art,
I am a blank page waiting for life to start.

---

"Your time is up, young lady!" Bri announced from the other side of the line.

Sarah was lying on the carpet, holding the phone to the ear and covering her eyes with her free arm. She was dreading the phone call from her mom knowing that she was still unable to tell the truth.

"I know, mom," she dragged her voice like the minutes had been dragging on the clock since she came back to Dubai.

One more week of total silence from Hamdan. According to his most recent posts, he was still in the UK and Sarah had kept herself reclusive in her apartment. This time her friends could not convince her to go out, but at least her designs had stopped suffering because of her misery. It was all she got to kill time and she decided to focus on that. After all, she needed to secure at least one of her jobs.

"So?" Bri insisted.

"Nothing went according to plan, okay?" Sarah explained. "And now my whole situation is on hold."

Bri sighed heavily. "What situation, Sarah? I've been having trouble sleeping because of this! You're lucky your dad is so busy these days."

"I'm sorry, mom. I really am," she uncovered her eyes and squeezed the hair bun on top of her head. It had gotten smaller since her visit to the salon with grandma Fay. "I promise you'll be the first to know once I figure everything out."

Bri groaned and Sarah could almost see her mother shaking her head, she always did both things together to show disapproval. "How's your training, then? Can we talk about that?"

"Great!" Sarah lied, she was not planning on going back until she talked to Hamdan first. Everyone at the stables thought she was still in Texas. "Princesa is lovely, as usual."

"Good. Why don't you send me a picture tomorrow?" Bri requested in an almost challenging way.

Sarah gasped quietly.

Does she know? Argh! Moms always know...

The knock on the door saved her from the sticky situation.

"My dinner is here!" She told Bri, getting up to get her wallet.

"Okay, I'll leave you to it," Bri backed down. "Just be—"

"I'll be careful mom," Sarah interrupted, digging in her handbag.

"Love you."

"Love you too. Say hi to dad," Sarah said, finally taking the wallet out.

Rooster was going around in circles by the door, he never looked so excited about Chinese food. Sarah opened the door and her breathing was cut short when she saw him standing there. Hamdan was looking down at the floor and it took him a couple of seconds to lift his head. He had his favorite F3 cap on, black t-shirt and grey shorts. Her first instinct was to jump and hug him but her urge disappeared when they looked at each other. The tension around his face and something in his eyes let her know that things were far worse than she imagined.