33. Hide

A refreshing morning breeze felt pleasantly soothing against the sun rays lashing on the hundreds of people gathered at the Dubai International Endurance Village. Having completed the first loop, Sarah handed Princesa over for cooling and was on her way to find shade under the tent for riders. She took her helmet off and started sipping on a bottle of water that restored her dry lips.

It had been a lonely ride without Uma. Kim Belle had recently given birth and they were not participating in the competition, Uma took the opportunity to visit her family in Spain. However, that absence was easily compensated by Princesa's performance. It was a nice surprise to see how well the mare was doing — not that Sarah was getting her hopes on winning anything — but unless something out of the ordinary happened, they surely would finish the 90 kilometers ride.

Turning her head at the sound of her name, Sarah saw a familiar face waving at her from across the tent. At first she was hesitant about who that was, but then she recognized her by the number eleven on her rider vest. Sarah waved back and took one last big gulp before walking over.

"Long time no see!" Futaim rose up from her seat to give her a hug.

Hamdan's sister was one of the last people she wanted to see. They met years before and were very friendly whenever they saw each other, but since Hamdan, Sarah could not help to wonder how much of Futaim's perception of her would change if she knew what was happening.

"I know! Where have you been?" Sarah asked, taking a seat next to her. She already knew the answer to her question, Hamdan had told her about it.

"Recovering from an injury, but I'm all better now," Futaim pulled down her scarf and revealed her smile, the helmet and glasses still in place, as she preferred to remain as covered as possible.

"It's good to have you back," Sarah said while redoing her ponytail.

Futaim angled her body towards her. "So, how's riding at F3? I'm so happy you're there, you deserve a stable like that."

Best thing to ever happen to me. I love your brother so much!

Instead of going with her thoughts, Sarah went for a generic response. "Thanks. It's uh... pretty great."

"Speaking of... there's your boss," Futaim pointed with her head.

And there he was, handsome as always with a long sleeved blue t-shirt and his favorite F3 cap. Hamdan was talking to Salem and seemingly not noticing them.

"Oh! Gotta go!" Futaim sprang up from her chair when someone called her to continue her ride.

"Good luck!" Sarah wished.

When she glanced back to Hamdan, he was walking in her direction.

"Miss Anderson," he greeted her, taking Futaim's place.

Sarah pulled her scarf over her nose to hide her beaming face. "Morning, Sheikh."

"How's Princesa?" He rested the elbows on his knees and was staring at the ground.

She had the feeling that he was trying to withhold as much as she did.

Sarah leaned back on her chair. "Great. She's doing much better than what I expected."

"See? I told you."

"Okay, maybe you were right for once," she conceded jokingly.

His back reverberated with a chuckle. Perhaps it was the fact that they were in a public place, unable to show any form of affection, but glancing at him sideways, he appeared more desirable than ever.