55. Unforgettable

Sarah took a deep breath and felt her lungs expand as they filled with the fresh air. The sky was covered in white clouds but everything looked strangely bright. Lying on her back, she ran her fingers through the green grass and stopped when she bumped into something. She turned her head and saw Hamdan next to her. He clutched his hand around hers and smiled. His kandura matching the white surroundings, making his dark beard stand out. The piercing eyes looking back at her, overflowed with love, assuring her that he would never leave her side.

"I love coming home to you." She said.

Everything started to darken and Hamdan's image slowly faded away, her head was throbbing and opening her eyes was a struggle. When she finally managed to do it, her vision was blurry and bright lights made her lids close again.

"Sarah?"

Her mother's voice sounded a thousand miles away. She swallowed to try to talk and winced at her sore throat.

"We're here, doll."

Pat's reassuring tone made her open her eyes again, she blinked a few times to gain focus until she had a clear picture of her dad's face. She looked to the other side a saw Bri with tears on her face.

Why is she crying? Why are they here? What is this?

The pain in her head increased once she looked down on herself and realized she was in a hospital bed, covered with a blue blanket, an intravenous line in her left hand and a hospital wristband on the right.

"It's okay, honey." Her mother comforted. "You were in an accident."

What?! Was Hamdan with me? Where is he?

The frustration was making it harder to breathe and she gathered all of the little strength she had to speak.

"Hamdan." His name choked down on her throat.

Pat frowned and stood up straight. "What?"

She stirred in the bed and inhaled to make the words come out.

"Where is Hamdan?"

---

Hamdan walked the long corridor for the hundredth time since he got to the hospital that afternoon after attending a couple of work engagements. Sarah had been taken off the medications since early that morning and still had not woken up. Her parents refused to leave her side, not even for eating, so he had not being able to see her, making time pass even slower for him.

He sat next to Tom with a sigh. All three of Sarah's friends were there, entertained with their phones, killing time. He rested the back of his head against the wall and closed his eyes, his mind wandering away to memories of Sarah, particularly the time he came home to find her lying on the grass, reading on her phone and throwing a ball for Rooster to fetch. How he wished he had taken a picture of that sight. As he recalled their conversation that day, an idea came to him and he snapped his eyes open.

The door to the ICU was abruptly pushed open, making everybody sit up and turn their heads.

"Thank God you're here!" Dr. Gouher said looking at Hamdan. "She's awake and wants to see you."

Hamdan hurried to the door as her friends sprang up from their sits sighting in relief. He would have run over Dr. Gouher if she had not moved to the side. An overwhelming rush of mixed emotions invaded him, it was too much to handle at the same time. She was not only awake, but she asked for him.