53. Faith

The days just seem so dark
The moon and the stars
Are nothing without you.

---

As Hamdan strode into Zabeel Palace his heart was pumping blood so fast, so hard that he could feel the veins on his arms pulsating incessantly. He left the hospital without meeting Sarah's parents and went to find Sheikh Mohammed. His only thought was that Sarah's accident would never had happened if his father had not went up to threaten her, there was so much heartache that they could've save themselves from if people stopped minding his personal business.

Enough was enough.

Not only was his father treating him like a kid in need of constant supervision, he also insulted Sarah. Hamdan was surprised that she didn't leave without even waiting for him to come home that day. Even more so, she came back to him, after the horrible things Sheikh Mohammed said, she came back and said yes to Hamdan's impromptu proposal and was willing to meet with his father, to confront him.

At that point he was wishing for all of his titles to be taken away from him, his father could cut him off completely for all that he cared. It could very well turn out to be the best thing for him and Sarah. They could start from scratch and devote themselves to endurance, horses and their family of two.

"Hamdan!"

His mother's sweet voice bounced on the marbled walls and high ceiling, she was the only who could make him stop at that moment. Hamdan turned around and there she was in black abaya and hijab followed by her personal assistant, he went up to her and kissed her forehead.

"What's wrong?" Sheikha Hind worried, looking at his face.

"I must talk to him." He explained, pointing with his head to his father's office.

"I'm afraid his highness is busy." Sheikh Mohammed's secretary interjected, as he resurfaced from the office. "He's in an important conference call and requested to not be disturbed."

"Just my luck!" Sheikha Hind smiled. "Maybe I could offer you some coffee?"

"No, I'll wait for him here."

Sheikha Hind encircled her arm around Hamdan's, motioning him to walk with her, away from his destination.

"That was me being polite. You don't really have a choice." She winked.

She took him to a small room where she usually entertained her guests when there was only two or three of them and asked her assistant for coffee to be served. He sat next to her on the beige couch, elbows on the knees, with a clenched out jaw, trying his best to keep himself together and not spill everything to his mom.

Her fingers gently fixed the side of his headscarf. "How is Sarah?" She asked.

His entire body relaxed out of shock and almost immediately he wanted to slap himself for his naiveness.

"Of course you know." He muttered.

"I've been praying for her."

Hamdan scoffed. "Really? Despite all the things dad has done?"

"What has your father done?"

"Oh, that you don't know?"

Hamdan stood up and told his mom everything that had happened, from Sheikh Mohammed getting all of Sarah's personal records, to the firing from the stables and all the way to the last stab to their relationship; his visit to Hamdan's Nad Al Sheba home. By the time he finished venting to his mother his breathing was heavy.