51. Away

Hamdan came down the stairs feeling like a brand new man with Rooster by his side. Sarah had taken him to a level of happiness he never knew existed and nothing could spoil that for them. With his agal and keffiyeh still in hand, he made it to the foyer where Saeed was waiting for him, the prayer cap was the only thing covering his head.

"Morning, Saeed!" Hamdan cheerfully greeted.

"Morning, sir," Saeed replied while Rooster sniffed around the bodyguard's white kandura.

The dog's presence did not surprise Saeed since he was the only one who knew Hamdan and Sarah were back together.

"Listen," Hamdan said putting the keffiyeh on. "I need an appointment with the jeweler."

"Sure," Saeed took his cellphone out, surely checking the schedule. "What should I tell him to bring?"

Hamdan waited until the agal was in place before answering. "Engagement rings."

Saeed's eyes opened wide and his lips slowly turned into a knowing smile. Hamdan was certain that the stupid grin across his face showed how he felt inside.

He cleared his throat before continuing. "We also need to review the schedule for next week. I'll have to cancel some stuff because I will be traveling for at least three days and please, remind me to call my mother during lunch break."

Saeed's chubby fingers tapping away on his phone.

Uncle Saeed came through the main door and Rooster seized the opportunity to go outside.

"Whose dog is that?" Uncle Saeed wondered.

"Mine," Hamdan beamed, actually feeling like he was not lying.

His uncle and bodyguard shook hands.

"When did you get it?" His uncle inquired.

Hamdan pouted. "A few months ago."

Uncle Saeed angled his head and narrowed his eyes at him.

"Let's go!" Hamdan exclaimed, clapping his hands once.

They headed to the Emirates Towers for the launch of Area 2071, a place to support technology start-ups, and that would also be the home for the UAE Government Accelerators, something that Hamdan was truly passionate about. He was sitting on a couch, between his father and uncle, in a rather small room where the presentation was taking place. As things were coming to an end, Saeed tapped on his right shoulder from behind to whisper something to his ear.

"There's been an accident at the stables."

Sarah was the first person that came to mind, his heartbeat immediately raced. "What happened? Where is she?" He whispered back over his shoulder.

And then he saw it. It was written all over Saeed's face, the bodyguard did not need to say it. Hamdan knew it was about Sarah, something happened to her.

"She's being rushed to the hospital," Saeed added.

Horrible images went through his mind. If something happened to Sarah while riding a horse, Hamdan knew very well how bad things might be. Every story he ever heard about such types of accidents flashed before him in a second.

He turned to his father. "I have to go."

Hamdan heard his father call his name as he got up but did not stop nor did he turn to look at him. He rushed out of the room followed by Saeed.

"Where are they taking her?" He quickened his steps towards the elevator.

"The American Hospital, sir."