89TH ROSE || Arsean Deligero

- ARSEAN DELIGERO -

"Scalpel."

"Yes."

I am observing the three doctors below as they're doing the operation for femoral artery. The doctors there, which were all surgeons, are fighting for professorship so the high-ranked doctors, including my mom were observing and watching their procedures if they're capable to get promoted. As for me, my mom wants me to watch and observe the surgery procedures so I can ready myself in attending medical school after I graduated Senior High. We just did our fifth operation and now we are observing surgery procedure here. We can consider this as a demonstration for promotion.

"Gauze," one of the doctors conducting the operation murmured to the nurse attendee beside her.

"Yes," the nurse responded as she gave the gauze to the surgeon.

"Tweezers."

"Yes."

"What is now the vital signs of the patient?"

"Blood pressure, 50-30. Heart rate, 160."

"Forceps."

"Yes."

"Scissors," I secretly yawned behind the folder that I am holding as I am observing the surgery procedures below. Damn, I am so sleepy.

"Suture 6.0."

"Yes."

"Prepare the Saline."

"Yes," the nurse answered as she pours the Saline on the stainless-steel container where there's an injection on it.

"Gauze."

"Yes."

"The vital signs of the patient are now stable and the operation is done. We consider this as a successful operation in a ruptured femoral artery," the surgeon below declared to us.

Everyone inside the room clapped their hands for the smooth and successful operation and everyone congratulated the doctors who conducted the procedures. I smiled as I clapped my hands while looking at them. I bet they'll get promoted because of the success they've got.

"You're going to school now?" I looked at my mom as she settles herself on her swivel chair, looking at the folders on her table. I am here in our hospital, helping my mom out since my dad's out for a doctors' conference in Canada.

"Yes," I nodded as I took of my lab coat. Yes, I am part-timing here as her apprentice during surgeries. At the age of 18, I can already wield the scalpel on the patient's body. But I am not allowed to do so because I'm still an unlicensed doctor. I am just helping my mom with other stuff and I am just observing her with the other doctors when they're doing the operation.