She glares at him for a long moment, looking like she’s debating on whether to forgive him or beat the crap out of him. Both seem likely to happen. Then she clenches her teeth and takes a deep breath. “You, my dear friend, are so lucky that we’re related, or else I would’ve killed you for your stupidity,” she says, poking his arm. She doesn’t look angry anymore, but she has a strange expression on her face. Can it be…disappointment?

 I notice something behind the trees a few meters in front of us. Obviously the Professionals don’t trust us enough to put too many meters between us. I can see the three of them eyeing Chason and Serenae talk with a mildly interested look on their faces. I also can’t help notice how they seem to move closer, even if it’s just a few inches.

 Serenae doesn’t miss it. “Ugh, those disgusting leeches have arrived. Hurray.” Her voice - which is fairly loud and clear considering the fact that the insult was directed at someone standing within earshot - is dripping with sarcasm. “I’m out of here,” she declares.

 Rachele appears in front of her before she can go far. “Where do you think you’re going?” she says coolly.

 They both look at the each other like they wish the other a lifetime of eternal misfortune.

 Serenae doesn’t say anything, but her answer is written clearly all over her face. It looks more like a threat, no, a promise to personally rip out Rachele’s heart if she doesn’t get out of her face.

 Rachele doesn’t even flinch. Her eyes are full of hate. Instead she moves closer. It’s hard to tell who despise the other more. “When someone asks you a question, you answer,” she says, her voice surprisingly calm. She smiles humorlessly. “It’s common courtesy.”

 “It sure as hell isn’t ‘common courtesy’ to stand so close to someone when they clearly want to poke your eyes out,” Serenae retorts.

 The other two Professionals narrow their eyes as they raise their weapons. They remind me of lifeguards, the way they’re standing protectively behind Rachele. I don’t get it. None of them seem like they care about her. No, scratch that. They don’t look like they remotely like her. So why are they acting like that?

 Chason lets out a quiet growl beside me. I glance at him nervously. Our eyes meet. I try to communicate with him without talking out loud. Should we attack them? Is Serenae in danger?

 He shakes his head, understanding what I’m trying to say. “Not yet,” he whispers.

 Apparently, Rachele can sense that a fight is coming, and she, for some reason, wants to avoid it. So she takes a step back, waving off Caleb and Aidan. “Fine. Go. But don’t go far. And don’t think that we won’t find you if you try to run,” she tells Serenae, her eyes glistening dangerously. 

 Serenae rolls her eyes. “Oh dear God, I’m so scared. Can’t you see how I’m shaking?” I don’t know why, but her answer somehow makes me want to burst out laughing. The words just don’t match her expression. ‘Scared’ isn’t exactly the first adjective I would use to describe her face.  

 Rachele clenches her teeth, but she doesn’t comment on Serenae’s mocking tone. She watches as the black-haired girl marches away, quickly disappearing out of sight.

 An awkward moment of silence follows.

 “I need to talk to you,” I mouth to Chason, all the while ignoring the Professional’s calculating glances.

 He nods, his expression unreadable. He holds my hand firmly in his, slowly leading us away from Rachele. She raises a delicate eyebrow, but Chason is one step ahead of her. “We’re going for a walk. Or are we not allowed to do that?” His voice is ice-cold. I’ve never heard him so hostile.

 Her lips pull up in the corners, and she shrugs. “Fine. Go. But the same goes for you…if you try to run –”

 “You’ll find us,” he finishes. “Got it.” He starts dragging me further away from them, discreetly picking up his bow and arrow in the process. I wonder if he plans to run.

 This is probably the only chance we’ll get. Obviously, staying with the Professionals is just about the stupidest thing we can do. We can run, now. We can find Serenae, and get the hell out of here. Then we can come up with something. Maybe find Cato and Veronica. The five of us together can take down the Professionals without difficulties.

 The only problem is…I don’t want to run anymore. I’m tired of being scared. Sick of hiding, always worrying about being found. Why should I feel intimidated? I have weapons. I know how to use them. If I come face to face with Rachele alone, I’m fairly sure that I can hold my own against her. If I really want to kill her, I’ll probably be able to.

 And Chason, he can take down Caleb or Aidan. I’m sure he can. As for Serenae, she can probably kill all the Professionals on her own.

 So why run? Why hide? This is the Odium Games. It’s only one rule that matters; kill or be killed.

 I’m ready.