Chapter 42 - Grief

Olivia POV

Grief. A feeling that wasn't all that new to me, but I had learnt to deal with in the past.

The sinking feeling in my stomach. The stinging sensation of an oncoming migraine due to stress. The nonexistent weight making my chest heavy. My swollen, glazed eyes. The aching of my heart. Straight after I was thrown into my room, literally thrown, I collapsed onto my bed. I cried for hours and hours until my eyes hurt too much and I could no longer cry.

It was so much worse dealing with his death, because I blamed myself. I hated myself for what happened to him. I just needed him back in my life again. I needed him to hold me and comfort me. I needed him back. If I hadn't suggested we run away, he'd still be alive.

My family hadn't spoken to me in days. Meals were delivered to me by maids and even they couldn't speak to me. Whatever they were planning as my punishment I knew it was bad. I knew this shunning was nothing compared to what they would have planned. For the past few days I lay on my bed and cried.

"I don't know how much longer I can go on like this, Logan," I whispered into the cold room, wiping my tear-stained face.

"I miss you," I whispered again. I didn't know if he could hear me, well, it was very unlikely, but "talking to him" provided me with a strange source of comfort. I couldn't face my family. The only person I could have talked to is Lydia, and because she pushed Luke off of me that day she'll definitely be in trouble too.

The furious rattling of my door startles me and I sit up on my bed, curiously waiting to see who was entering my room so aggressively. The maids had never entered this way before, and no one else was allowed in. Lydia stumbles into the room and for a moment my eyes light up, only before I notice an angry Luke and Theo entering behind her.

Luke slams the door shut, his back facing me, although I can still tell his words are directed at me, "don't you dare tell any of them about this."

My stunned body cannot move, and I can tell that Lydia is in shock too. Luke still doesn't face me. I can tell he can't bare to, and I was honestly relieved.

"You two need to sort this out now. I don't care how, if the adults are here or not, just do it," Theo crosses his arms and glares at the both of us, me especially, "you're both tearing apart this family and I won't let it continue."

It broke my heart to see my once kind and caring cousin so angry at me. I had seen him angry before, and Luke too, but this time it was directed at me. I had been treated like an angel my whole life by my family, so even now it was a shock to me.

I've never seen the two of them that angry since-

"Don't say anything that could get you in trouble," I hear Lydia whisper into my ear.

I notice that she's now beside me and Luke is facing in our direction. I can't look at him, so I lock eyes with Theo, waiting for one of us to say something.

"Olivia," my cousin begins, "you're going to tell us everything, and you know exactly what I mean."

It seemed that he couldn't even bring himself to say what had happened. I remain frozen in place. The room stays silent, and the three of them stare at me intently, waiting for my response.

"No," Lydia declares, standing against her brother.

"You don't have a say in this," Luke snaps angrily at her.

"Neither of you can make her say what she doesn't want to. I don't know why you dragged us here in the first place, Luke, but Olivia doesn't have to explain herself you either of you," Lydia continues to stand her ground. Stubborn like a true Maxwell.

"She doesn't have to explain herself?" Luke growls lowly, "that is the very least she can do after all she's done."

"No-" Lydia begins to speak again but it cut off immediately by Luke.

"Just get out! Both of you!" He yells at Theo and Lydia, finally snapping out of his "calm" state. Well, I guess he snapped out of it a while ago.

"I don't think so. You two need a referee," Theo shakes his head.

Even when we were little we would accidentally hurt each other, Luke was especially bad for being too rough, but it was clear that this was beyond play fighting. For once I was worried that if this escalated, he could actually hurt me.

Again.

"Stay," I almost whispered, looking my male cousin in the eyes and nodding. This was the first time in a long time that I had been scared of Luke.

When we were fifteen, I had pointed out the fact that our Uncle Felix was basically brainwashing him into becoming another version of him when he would be King. It was just on my mind so much at the time, weeks before we had been so close.

Uncle Felix started spending time with Luke, and when he came back he wouldn't speak to me. He said he had work to do and that was it. He wouldn't play with our little brothers and I. The stress that our Uncle seemed to be putting on him built up inside over a few months, until eventually he took it all out on me.

"Luke, you need to calm down," I frowned at my brother who's face was turning red with rage. I had never seen him so angry before.

I yelled out as he forcefully pushed me against the wall. He was yelling something, but I couldn't focus on his words. I was terrified.

"What's wrong with you?" I cried, rubbing my shoulder blade where the impact of the wall had hit most. Yet he wouldn't calm down.

Grabbing me by the neck he slammed me into the wall again, and I let out the tears I had been desperately holding back, "don't you ever say that to me again! Everything I've ever done is for you, Olivia!"

"Luke, let me go," my hands clawed at his arms to somehow release his grip on my neck. It was dangerously tight and I wasn't great at holding my breath for long.

"You've no idea what I've had to go through because of you!" He continued to yell in my face.

"Luke! You're hurting me!" I yelled, hoping to somehow get through to him to stop.

He was suddenly pulled off of me and I looked up at my saviour while rubbing my throbbing neck and regaining my breath. After checking I was okay, Theo turned back to Luke, whispering something to him and the two of them left.

"I thought you two could sort this out, but maybe this wasn't a good idea after all," Theo sighs to himself.