Chapter 1 - The Maxwells

Olivia POV

A knock on my door makes me immediately sit up on my bed.

Lots of women rush in to once again pick out another stupid royal dress for me to wear and help me dress, even though I don't need it. Sometimes I hate life as a royal. I know I should be grateful, as my uncles have told me many people would kill to be in my position but it doesn't make me any happier.

Of course, I love being able to serve and help people but this castle is a reminder that I'm only here because my parents are- well, dead.

I grew up with my mother, father and my brothers- my twin brother Luke, and the other set of twins who are five years younger than us, Lewis and Liam.

We grew up living in the village, disguised as normal people while our uncles, my mother's brothers, lived in the castle.  They had agreed that when Luke and I were old enough we would move to the castle to be trained as "proper royals". This was because at the time, the war was so awful that it was the only way to keep the heirs to the throne of our kingdom safe. My parents were killed because of an "electrical accident". The whole house was set on fire and they were trapped. The four of us (my brothers and I) were at the market at the time, so when we got back the house was burnt beyond repair.

I don't know the truth about what happened, but something makes me believe it wasn't an accident. Uncle Felix has told me it is because I want justice for my parents, and maybe he's right. He's right about most things.

We did the only thing we could think of and turned to our uncles for help. We moved into the castle- Luke and I thirteen and Lewis and Liam only eight.

They told us they would be training us early for the royal life.

My family are extremely old fashioned, which is why even though I am older, they believe that the first born male of the Maxwell family shall be King. Of course, if no boys are born in that generation then it falls to a woman. I think it's because if Luke were to marry, and he probably will, future generations of the royal family will carry the Maxwell name. Something along those lines. I don't really ask questions anymore.

My Uncle Felix is my oldest uncle and is the king of our side of Earth. We don't really have a name for the sides, weirdly enough. Not that we talk about theirs, anyway.

Uncle Jeremy is my fathers twin and is the second-oldest out of all my uncles.

Next is my Uncle Leo who's a year or so younger than Jeremy. Neither of them have children nor a partner.

My Uncle Marcus has two children, Lydia and Theo. His wife died giving birth to Lydia, who is the youngest out of the two.

Also, my grandmother Dahlia. She's all my uncles and my father's mother. Her husband died before we came to the castle, so I never really knew him.

My four uncles have taken great care of us over the years and I couldn't be more grateful for that.

My siblings and I look remarkably similar to our families, our parents especially. Lewis and I have my father's light brown hair and both of their dark brown eyes, while Luke and Liam have my mother's black hair, and again, dark brown eyes.

As I mentioned, my father and Uncle Jeremy were twins, which is a very common thing that runs in our family. I don't know much about my mother's side.